Author Topic: Kindle/Ipad Mini/Galaxy Nexus  (Read 16253 times)

fitzsie

• Acre
Kindle/Ipad Mini/Galaxy Nexus
« on: December 04, 2012, 17:27:38 »
Was looking at getting a Kindle fire for Xmas but when I started looking into it I am now not sure whether to pay a bit extra and go for the ipad mini.
I have an ipod touch which I love and I am currently using a laptop for internet , spreadsheets and word docs. (However the CD player has packed up)
I love reading (lots) and will sometime use my ipod to watch tv/iplayer.
Will the Kindle suffice or should I pay a bit more and go for the ipad.
Any thoughts would love to hear
Bring back Spotty Dog........

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: Kindle/Ipad Mini/Galaxy Nexus
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 17:47:38 »
Mrs Melbourne12 has a basic Kindle and absolutely loves it.  But of course it is only an eBook reader - the internet access is bizarre.  The Kindle Fire and Fire HD suffer from limitations, too, because Amazon have trimmed away the facilities that you need to view content from competitors.

So faced with the same choice, Santa is bringing me a Nexus 7.  It'll read Kindle and other eBooks, and is effective at browsing the internet and handling emails.  Getting one with a data connection isn't much more expensive than the basic wi-fi version.

The iPad mini is nice too, but more money.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 17:53:55 »
As I am sure you are aware this is very much a personal opinion thing so here is my opinion.

I don't know about the Ipad mini but I have an Ipad 1 and that is not what I would call a 'Reading Machine' ot sure how the 'mini' would fare, whereas the Kindle has been designed as a 'reading machine'

So you really have to look at it as to the main reason you want it is it for 'reading' or surfing the net etc? and take it from there.

I have bought a Kindle Paperwhite for the wifes Christmas ( she doesn't know yet so don't tell her) and I have just had an email from Amazon telling me  it will be arriving tomorrow.

I read up on all the models, Kindle and otherwise, and this one came out tops in my opinion.

I didn't consider the 3G model as all the wife will want to do is read she is not in to the internet and stuff like that hence my choice.

When I ordered it I was advised that there was a 6 week delivery perion for it due to demand, as it happens they have done it in five weeks!

So as I said;.............this is my opinion...Tg

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 18:07:00 »
Really depends on what you want to use it for personally i like the idea of both but for me the kindle fire has it as i would be able to watch films on love film which i cant do on the ipad. You can install a kindle reader on iphone/ipads.

Part of your decision making might also be your level of technical ability and how long you can wait for the selected product :)

fitzsie

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 18:18:45 »
I have been to a Mac shop and had a look at the Mini. It is a nice weight for reading and seems a good portable size. It can do pretty much what the Ipad can do although it doens't have the Retina display. The young salegirl reckoned that because it has a small screen but with the same amount of pixels as the larger Ipad you don't really miss this Retina display.
I occasionaly use Word & Excell but if you want something similar you have to buy their app equivalents, about £7 each.
I guess I am not sure if I will use the Ipad mini in place of the laptop. will it be too small?
If I end up just using it for reading and watching TV etc, it's an expensive option.
How much can the Galaxy do in comparison?
Oh decisions decisions..................

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 18:56:10 »
I have tried them all and they all have pros and cons.

I love my Kindle - but as stated above it's just an ereader.  A good one at that.  Other ereaders are also available if you want to avoid the tax dodging at amazon.
I'd steer clear of the Kindle Fire as they are effectively reduced in functionality - great for consumption of Amazon media though if that is what you want.
Ipad mini - not for me.  It isn't the best technically, poor resolution and I use mapping a lot and I would miss Google Maps.  If you are tied into the iworld then it may be for you. Expensive for what it is.  Feels a tad too big somehow. Great selection of apps.
Nexus 7 - Now I love my nexus 7 - The Kindle app is good but dont buy it if that is all you want it for.  For the money the technical specs are good and it is the latest thing in the android world.  This is not always a good thing as some apps are not compatible.  I use it for a few games, net, email, basic docs etc..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

fitzsie

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 20:19:01 »
Sounds like the Google Nexus is a favourite with quite a few people.Not one that I really thought of. I must check it out.
Does it have apps that can do soreadsheets or word docs?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 20:40:24 by fitzsie »

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 20:53:04 »
I love my Ipad mini; I have a Kindle but now read off the Ipad. OH has an Ipad and I prefer mine now.

You can use Open Office on Ipad and that's free, and most things on Windows office work on it. The odd thing doesn't but I've used it for years with no major issues.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 22:21:46 »
Sounds like the Google Nexus is a favourite with quite a few people.Not one that I really thought of. I must check it out.
Does it have apps that can do soreadsheets or word docs?

Yes, GoogleDocs handles Excel and Word files

fitzsie

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 11:32:18 »
This is a real hard thing to decide on. I love the Ipad Mini but not the price so the Nexus looks a good option as well.
Added question - for example when I use Facebook on the Ipod I am using thephone version. So the games on Facebook aren't accessible. On the Ipad Mini is this the same case or do you see Facebook as you would on a laptop etc ?

Stevens706

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 12:32:18 »
The choice, as always is a personal one. A couple of things I would take into account are the operating system (OS) and memory.
Apple replaces it operating system quite regularly, the original IPad is no longer supported so new apps produced for the latest IOS will not be available for it. So you need to bear in mind that the new IPad mini might be unsupported in 3 years.
Android and Windows OS I believe will be supported longer.

For Memory I would look at being able to add Micro SD cards, the cost of a 32gb SD card is about £15 from Amazon whereas to go from Nexus 7 16gb is £159 and 32gb is £199 (£40 for 16 gb)

I personally would like a HDMI output so I can connect it to the TV.

These are just my thoughts, hope they help

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 12:34:22 »
I've just checked and you have to download the Mindjolt app...

mentallot

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 15:19:48 »
I have a kindle in a case, bought in August fo £90 (still have the receipt) and used about twice. Don't get on well with it, it was bought on a whim and has sat in a cupboard ever since. Will sell if there's any interest

fitzsie

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 18:28:15 »
Well, I was really gunning for the ipad mini as I love using my touch ipod however I think I have now changed my mind and am really thinking of buying the Nexus 7. Am even thinking of upgrading and getting the one with Mobile Data.

So hopefully my last question !!  I can't find any info how exactly the mobile data works. Do you have to have some contract with a supplier , how does it work?

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 18:43:30 »
As far as I know (I have only wireless) they come with sim slot and it is up to you to get a data contract from a variety of providors.
You can get it ona  phone like contract from three - http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Google/Nexus_7_3G?specification&id=DGB16
I just use my phone's 3g to make a wirelss hot spot and use my tablet on that - I have "unlimited" data!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

fitzsie

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 19:56:26 »
I just use my phone's 3g to make a wirelss hot spot and use my tablet on that - I have "unlimited" data!

Nick,
My mobile only has 500mb a month so I guess I would need to get a seperate sim card. However if I did have have unlimited how does that work? Do you have an app for this and is this compatible with the Nexus ?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 20:38:21 by fitzsie »

compo1

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 20:38:50 »
If you are considering a Kindle remember that it ties you in to Amazon.  If you were to try and download an ebook from your public library free of charge you would not be able to do so (they are not licensed by Amazon). 

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 22:40:39 »
I didn't research before I bought my kindle fire HD but I love it. I `'ve downloaded books and aps,I pop into A4 and I love  it
sanity is overated

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 06:58:38 »
If you are considering a Kindle remember that it ties you in to Amazon.  If you were to try and download an ebook from your public library free of charge you would not be able to do so (they are not licensed by Amazon).

To be fair, the latest Kindles handle quite a few formats, including MOBI.  It's very easy to convert other formats on a personal computer, including EPUB using conversion software such as Calibre.  We've done this many times.  It's a bit of a nuisance, adding another step in the download process, but no worse than that.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal