Author Topic: Kindle/Ipad Mini/Galaxy Nexus  (Read 16252 times)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Kindle/Ipad Mini/Galaxy Nexus
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 10:25:54 »
I just use my phone's 3g to make a wirelss hot spot and use my tablet on that - I have "unlimited" data!

Nick,
My mobile only has 500mb a month so I guess I would need to get a seperate sim card. However if I did have have unlimited how does that work? Do you have an app for this and is this compatible with the Nexus ?

Ok this does work on my setup but different carriers/phones may not work.
I have an HTC One X and a Nexus 7

On my HTC - Settings - Wireless and Networks - More - Portable hotspot and tethering -Portable Wifi Hotspot.  Once this is enabled Go to portable WI-Fi Hotsapot Settings.
My device does not allow me to configure the rest of the settings but you will need to go here to get the passcode..
Once done go to your Nexus and browse for wi-fi points - Mine is called HTC Portable Hotspot.  Enter the passcode and away you go.

I just had to check that it actually works as this is a newish phone and I haven't set it up - but I am browsing my work mail on my tablet via my phone as we speak..

Edit - I can change the settings but not on a low battery - plugged in and now I can change

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 10:37:53 by BarriedaleNick »
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 12:21:06 »
Apple suffers worst share price fall in four years as $35bn wiped off tech giant
Is this the beginning of the end for Apple? As evidence it is slipping behind on all fronts begins to mount, its stock price collapses.

quote from internet news page

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 17:18:02 »
I doubt it Jim - I dislike Apple as a company but they seem to have the art of getting users to pay for very expensive (overpriced IMHO) goods.
They are still worth 507 billion!

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

fitzsie

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2012, 08:53:41 »
Well I think I am going to go with the Nexus 7, they certainly seem to have lots of good reviews.
What it doesn't have is an SD card but with the purchase of a certain cable & memorystick ( don't ask for the details I never remember unless I actually do it ! )  you can add extra memory should you even get close to using more then 32GB which I doubt I will.

Don't think either I will go for the mobile data as the charges for using/downloading wouldn't justify my use either.

The lad in Curry's reckoned that Nexus would be bringing one out that had the excel/word already on it ?  That confused me a bit as I was sure someone had said you had an app on the Nexus which would do these things.

Anyway, thanks to everyone's input - you haveall been a help.  :icon_cheers:
Bring back Spotty Dog........

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2012, 17:27:11 »
Bought this for Hubbie - his choice

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0099NPR84
7" Android 4.0.3 Tablet, Capacitive Touch Screen, 4GB HDD 512MB WiFi - White  £54.99

Technical Details
Newest Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich operating system
All winner A13 1.0GHz CPU (up to 1.5GHz maximumly) + Mali-400 GPU
7.0 inch Capacitive Touch Screen, Very Slim and Light-Weight,
Support WIFI, 4 way G-Sensor, flash player 11.1 (BBC player, Skype Video calling)
Rich apps: Youtube/Facebook/Twitter/MSN/Android market/Skype/Calculator/Google Mail/Google maps/iReader/Quick Office

fitzsie

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, 19:58:30 »
7" Android 4.0.3 Tablet, Capacitive Touch Screen, 4GB HDD 512MB WiFi - White  £54.99

A value option if your funds are limited, however for me, 4GB is no where near enough memory for me. I have an 8gb ipod touch and this is completley full just with my music and bits & bobs. Need something bigger. Hope your hubby enjoys his present from you !!
Bring back Spotty Dog........

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 23:54:31 »
Just tell me where to find out of print books on any of these gizmos? Looking for White Lightning by Allan Donald at the moment without any luck whatsoever!

Ninny - 1st Crimble grumph!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 22:00:05 »

A value option if your funds are limited, however for me, 4GB is no where near enough memory for me. I have an 8gb ipod touch and this is completley full just with my music and bits & bobs. Need something bigger. Hope your hubby enjoys his present from you !!

He has an iphone for that stuff this is just for reading and surfing in bed :)

PS also spotted this offer

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nexus-7-32gb-stock-free-next-day-delivery-cheapest-available-9-09-cashback-potentially-1404769

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal