Author Topic: OPINION NEEDED  (Read 1588 times)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
OPINION NEEDED
« on: October 22, 2012, 17:25:50 »
 Has anyone on here ever had injections in there knees for osteoarthritis?
I need to know do they work ?i have been advised by my Dr to have both knees done.
Can anyone describe what it is like do they freeze the injection area first yes i am a wuss for these things the thought of it makes me cringe.
But most of all does it relieve this terrible terrible pain.
Thank you.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: OPINION NEEDED
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 17:29:46 »
I cannot speak personally Rosebud but my dad had his knees done a while back.  He is a sceptical grumpy old so and so but he did confess that it made a lot of difference.  I can translate that from grumpy old man speak into English - it made a hell of a difference!

Cant speak of the procedure either but hopefully other can help..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 17:31:36 »
I don't know if it's the same thing, but my MIL had steroid injections in her spine (i think) and it woked like a miracle, but only for a couple of months, and she's been told she can't have it done again until January because she has osteoporosis.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 20:08:25 »
I had a steroid injection into the back of each hand on Aug. 24th   jsut after i was diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis.  The area was numbed beforehand but still felt the injection going in.   unfortunately I had a steroid flair and was in a great deal of pain for 24 hrs but the injection worked wonders with my inflammation in the hands.   This lasted around a month.   Go for it Rosebud.   I would do it again despite my experience.

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 22:11:10 »
I've had steroid injections in my hip and shoulder. They didn't numb the area - straight in with the needle, but it was just like any other injection,  stings a bit at the injection site. The relief after about 24hrs is wonderful, I wouldn't hesitate if I were you.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 01:22:05 »
Had a steroid injection into my shoulder. The doctor mixed an anesthetic with it as I recall. It provided a lot of relief. Eventually, 6 months later, I had to have rotator cuff repair and that was dreadful but cured the problem beautifully. Sometimes we have to try what the doctor is suggesting since he's the one who studied medicine for 8+ years or more, correct? What I tell myself: No pain, no gain, Baby.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 09:32:02 »
Not quite, but I had steroid injections in my wrists a few years back for carpal tunnel problems. It was extremely efficient and I have had little trouble since then. The injection itself is just uncomfortable but I had a lot of pain and stiffness in the arms for about 3 days afterwards. Once that wore offf, it was good.

I guess it's worth trying Rosebud, even though it may be unpleasant. Good luck with it.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 15:51:40 »
 Thank you all very much for your positive replies.  I shall see my DR about having them done now i know they give some relief from terrible pain.  I shall let you know when i have had the 1st injection & result from it.  Do not know how long i shall have to wait.
Rosebud= Mary.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal