Author Topic: When do greenhouse tomatoes finish up?  (Read 2271 times)

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
When do greenhouse tomatoes finish up?
« on: September 10, 2012, 19:15:08 »
Hi folks

It's my first season growing tomatoes in a GH and I have it rammed full of them!  ;D The only thing is I now have overwintering carrot, lettuce, scallions and christmas spuds in containers waiting to go in. When would anyone alse make the swap? I want to give the overwintering stuff as best a head start as I can under glass but also want to get the most out of the tomatoes.

Cheers

Gord

pumkinlover

Re: When do greenhouse tomatoes finish up?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 21:51:41 »
Last year was so nice in the late autumn that I was still picking them in December! however if you need to make space then I have seen it on telly that you can cut the tomato stalk then hang them upside down in the greenhouse to ripen. They will be shorter by then so then you can plant underneath :-\

Let me know if it works ;D ;D ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 10:49:53 »
I find that when the weather stasrts to cool and I shut the greenhouse all day, I start to reduce the watering of tomatoes and this encourages them to ripen fully. I have not had a good year for tomatoes this year at all, the majority have yet to ripen and most plants have not cropped as generously as usual. Looking at weatherspark it appears temperatures are falling over the next week and autumn is starting so I will be cutting back on my watering now, probably not watering at all by the end of the month.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 23:06:41 »
Thanks for you input folks. It turned out, though, that i could in fact manage to squeeze 20 tomato plants, 3 big planters of spring onion, 2 sacks and a bin of tatties and 4 planters of carrots in a 8x6. Just can't fit much in the way of me in it though  ;D

Will follow your advice Deb and hopefully I will have some movement space soon.

Not too sure about cutting them off if I can possibly help it, and I seem to be able to - with a contortionist performance when I go in.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 19:58:44 »
I think i will still be going at Xmas
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal