Author Topic: Polytunnel revamp  (Read 2620 times)

elhuerto

• Acre
Polytunnel revamp
« on: October 07, 2012, 10:56:38 »
I put up a 6m by 3m polytunnel in the Spring, we had a very hot Summer and the covering got very brittle, in a storm last week the rain punched holes all over it so it's just a windbreak now really. I can get a replacement cover but the same is going to happen again so am looking at alternatives.

On the bus to my son's footie match yesterday I saw some commercial poytunnels with undulated transparent stuff on the front and back and regular plastic over the top. I'm wondering if that might be the solution. Having a rigid front and back and buying a better quality cover the replacements should be less frequent and more solid. Does that sound like a plan or can anyone think of any drawbacks?

Cheers!
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Polytunnel revamp
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 11:26:46 »
I'm surprised that the cover on yours didn't last that long..actually I would be calling on to suppliers and start questioning the cover..it should not go brittle that quickly.
When I had my tunnel..the polythene was guaranteed for 5 yrs and now we are going on year 10!..and I'm not in hurry to change it to new one as yet..I reckon I get another year or two out of it .

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 12:04:59 »
I'm surprised that the cover on yours didn't last that long
It was pretty cheap to be honest but I was hoping for a couple of seasons from it. That's why I thought of this solution as I can get some decent polythene this time and if there's any problem with it in the future it'll be simple to change.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 13:00:49 »
I also bought a 3 x 6m polytunnel this year, from the Feelgood chappies on ebay, and the cover looks good for a few seasons but I guess yours has to hold up against some serious UV.  Monarflex may be the way to go but I bet it's pricey stuff:

http://www.monarflex.com/Products/Weather%20protection/Agriculture.aspx

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 13:10:01 »
The wind did for mine last year after only one season.  Our allotment shop sells euro mesh off a roll so will get the sewing machine out and do my own cover for next season.  Like you I will do the end separate.  I no this means it won't keep the heat in so well, but hopefully it won't get ripped to shreds like last time.  They don't call Swindon the windy city for nothing.

blackkitty2

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 14:41:03 »
Invest in some better quality cover! Ours lasted 6 years and the wind put paid to it this year. That's only because we were a little lax on the anti-hot spot tape over the years and should have replaced it as it does perish.

Polytunnels need regular maintenance and when ours sunk we just left it. Now we have invested in a new cover (10 x 25 not cheap - visquene 720 or whatever) base plates so it cannot sink again (not cheap) and crop bars (ditto) to strengthen the polytunnel as we are in a very windy place. All in all a costly exercise, but it will be worth it in the long run. Birthday, Christmas and any other savings gone!

Shop around on some of the better quality sites and compare the prices, but you do have to pay a little extra for better quality.

Good luck in the revamp!

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 17:49:08 »
Thanks for the comments and I agree totally on getting quality this time. Can anyone see any flaws in having a rigid front and back to the polytunnel? I have a builder friend here that can help out with the materials and hopefully a bit of assistance too.

The polytunnel looks like it's going to add over two months of growing time to the season so want to keep it going.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal