Author Topic: poorly hens that suffered with red mite  (Read 2417 times)

springs

• Half Acre
poorly hens that suffered with red mite
« on: September 09, 2012, 21:09:46 »

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: poorly hens that suffered with red mite
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 13:57:13 »
Are you chickens moulting now?..looking at the photo they have rosy combs so they are not anemic after the redmite attack but they do look like mine does..short of feather or two.. ;D

Hazelb

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 18:29:52 »
That does look like they are moulting. Feather loss will be from specific areas and then work it's way around the bird, finishing with the tail I think. My chicken has started moulting as is is about the right time of year.
You should start to see the pin feathers coming through where the feather loss is.

Red mite usually means they wont go in their hen house at night, and they look a bit anaemic. I don't think they usually get feather loss with it.

springs

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 19:49:13 »
The hens haven't had feathers for the last 9 months, wife knitted coats for them last winter .
The red mite arrived in may so dusted the house out with hemexsan that soon killed them off.
Still none the wiser why the feathers came out no sign of any new ones.they eat well and lay well

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 22:31:20 »
Code: [Select]
Still none the wiser why the feathers came out no sign of any new ones.they eat well and lay well
What do you feed for them? Have you given them any supplements?..any extra protein? When chickens are trying to grow new feathers, it is very challenging time for them and it will take lot of out of their bodies. If they struggle, it is good to supplement their diet with growers pellets/meal to give that little bit extra for hard times..it might slow down their laying for while, but it is better to allow them to get back to health than keep them running 'low' and fully laying.
When my girls are moulting I give them some poultry tonic in their water, I give them some complete dog biscuits (soaked soft in hot water) few times a week..not a lot, just small cup between 4 girls, thats their extra protein portion and little bit of poultry spice or seaweed meal with their pellets.

Do you find any feathers in their coop or pen...do they plug themselves? Have they even tried to grow any back?..any feather 'pins'? Have you dusted their house since the treatment?..louse powder or Diatomeceous Earth would be good for having around their housing all the time..I use DE all the time, all year round and there is no need for any other treatments...works against all blood suckers.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal