Author Topic: Accidental cider vinegar  (Read 1794 times)

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
Accidental cider vinegar
« on: September 04, 2012, 15:40:49 »
I've been brewing cider for a good few months now, but after leaving two demijohns over the lees for too long it seems to have turned to vinegar - at least that's how it smells. Having never had this happen before, are there any uses for this? I have approx 9 litres of the stuff.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Accidental cider vinegar
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 16:30:16 »
I use cider vinegar a lot - to make vinaigrette for salad and for fruity chutneys like rhubarb or tomato and also a dash goes in my spiced blackcurrant jelly, sweet and sour Chinese and Thai sauces for chicken and fish and pretty much any recipe that asks for white wine vinegar.   
Obxx - Vendée France

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
  • Make the most of today....
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 17:01:24 »
Shame I am not near you as I have to go out tomorrow to buy some for my pickled cumber recipe :)

chriselst

• Quarter Acre
    • AHAA
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 18:36:32 »
I use cider vinegar when slow cooking gammon joints.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 21:09:10 »
Is there any chance that it's not safe to use? How do I know for sure - there was a leak in the airlock.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 22:41:34 »
Assuming your cider wasn't really weak then there isn't much nasty stuff that will survive:

a) 5-7% alcohol solution, that's why we use it to preserve fruit  :D
b) 5-7% acetic acid solution, that's why we use it for pickling!  :D

If it smells like vinegar, it probably is. The smell is unmistakable. If you got a horrible mouldy mess on top that's what's called a "mother" and would definately confirm you as the proud owner of so much vinegar. 9 litres, you poor sod.

Pickling would be my realistic option. Needs to be 5% acetic though. If your ABV was 5% or more you're laughing.

Or...Put into small bottles as christmas presents? Pretend that you actually MEANT to do this?  8)

Anyway...I am sorry for your loss. I'd be gutted to lose 2 DJs of booze. Don't be discouraged, grab this year's apples and chalk this (pretty rare) occurence in the joys of brewing up to experience.

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 00:04:46 »
I actually begged a 20 litre container of accidental cider vinegar from a friend as I had tried it on a visit and liked the taste so much. I use it for marinades and for cooking belly of pork. Spashes of it go into stews and meat sauces and haricot bean salads.
 Mind you, I still have a lot left!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal