Author Topic: Copper paint as As slug barrier  (Read 8390 times)

tartonterro

• Acre
Copper paint as As slug barrier
« on: September 01, 2012, 09:24:00 »
Are there any copper paints that contain actual copper as looking to paint the metal straps on my herb barrel to give my chives a chance to bulk up before winter

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Copper paint as As slug barrier
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 12:43:44 »
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

tartonterro

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 15:22:49 »
interesting - but expensive lol

tartonterro

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 14:28:50 »
Just an update - managed to find copper powder on ebay for 12.99 for 500g.  Just need to pick up some resin and hardner and work out the porportions.  will keep you posted.

Good Gourd 2

• Half Acre
  • My minature allotment.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 08:45:12 »
I bought some copper scouring pads from the £1 shop pulled them apart and threaded them onto wire put round the plants and it worked, cheap and  reusable. :happy7:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 09:59:41 »
I have never heard of copper scouring pads, this looks like a brilliant idea.  I have been looking for something to protect a carrot bed.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 20:24:36 »
I can't see the point of embedding copper in a resin or a varnish - about as much use as trying to lick a choc-ice without opening the packet.

The cheapest solution is to save all the copper piping you were going to throw in a skip (or take to the scrappie), straighten it out, hammer it flat and bend it into squares or hoops - your slugs will be bashing their heads against active copper for the next thousand years...

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 21:03:14 »
Is there copper wire in electric flex these days & if so would that work?

cestrian

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 02:06:52 »
The copper needs to be quite wide, like say about an inch. They will just crawl over copper wire like it isn't there. I use beer traps and putting coffee grounds around your plants keeps them away too.

tartonterro

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 10:06:46 »
Once youve painted on the resin/copper mix you sand the top layer to expose the copper, thereby giving the slugs/snails contact with the copper which should stop them - hopefully.  Might even try adding some copper wire poppy mole, will keep an eye out for the copper scouring pads Good Gourd 2

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 19:36:16 »
Good Gourd 2
Thankyou for that tip. I didn't like pound shops but from now on I've dropped another prejudice... :blob7: [I wonder if Wilkos have them?]

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal