The Show > Pumpkin 'tastic

Cross pollinating

<< < (3/3)

galina:

--- Quote from: Spireite on January 06, 2013, 12:42:49 ---Well I'm mainly growing for the fruit, but I thought I'd take a chance with last year's jack o  lantern seeds I have which is a pepo, which I only intend to grow big enough to carve and not eat..and I don't think that my neighbours grow squashes, but there's no way to be sure of that....so it's a wait and see....surely it will be more of an issue with the squashes I intend to eat, and if I save their seeds for next year  Magical mystery tour  :happy7:

--- End quote ---

I love that magical mystery tour too :wave:  and had some nice crossed maxima.  First year usually good, second year more of a gamble.

Dandytown:
An old post revisited.

An observation I made this year was of the bumble bees frantically jumping from flower to flower on my atlantic giants.  Some of the bees were covered in pollen almost if someone had licked them and dunked them in a pot of yellow powder. 

They were so covered in pollen that flight must have been taxing.

Served to remind me about the importance to tie your flowers closed (both male and female) the night before pollinating if you do not want an open pollination and plan to save and grow the seed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version