Author Topic: Aldi Generator  (Read 6853 times)

Hi_Hoe

• Half Acre
Aldi Generator
« on: July 28, 2012, 20:12:37 »
Hi all.

Just wondered if anyone had purchased one of these http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_25515.htm

and if so, what are they like?
Im considering buying it (firstly for having in the back of the van for work) but also for down the allotment for a lawnmower/ strimmer etc. Its a steal at 60 sobs i think.

I appreciate 800w isnt that much, but i'm sure it would run a strimmer etc?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated x
If tha does nowt, tha gets nowt. Simple!

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
Re: Aldi Generator
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 20:22:40 »
I have a Wolf 800w generator, looks the same except for the colours/branding.  It was an absolute pig to start and would run for a while before cutting out and again taking ages to get restarted. So much so that the recoil starter rope broke on me.

Aaaaaaaanyhow, I eventually replaced the spark plug (can't remember the brand but it was Chinese) with the nearest equivalent NGK (managed to find the equivalent Champion but couldn't get one and ended up with NGK but that's by the by). Don't know why that took me so long, I'm an ex-mechanic  :-[ but it was a different machine from then on, starting first or second pull. Nice and quiet and reasonably economical too.

It had enough power for drills, grinders etc.

Unfortunately the abuse seems to have killed it - I think it has a fuelling problem now as it won't start at all.

I paid either £50 or £60 about 3 years ago from Screwfix for mine.

Hope that helps some.

:)
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

Hi_Hoe

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 21:06:24 »
Hmm so a change of spark plug changed the machine?

I have a homelight petrol strimmer and im sick of the cowbag not re-starting when i switch it off to let thru new line - such is the need for a genny and elec strimmer. Just now wondering if a change of plug would help matters?

Did your drills/ tools etc perform ok when your genny was working, Robiofthehood?

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 00:12:07 »
Variable speed stuff - angle grinder etc - was crap unless turned up full. Otherwise fine to a point, 800w is not a lot.

Try the spark plug though, Champion or NGK is a cheap fix if it works. You have to bear in mind that for £60 you're not getting a Briggs and Stratton, or Honda. Make the most of it while it works if you buy one.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
  • Make the most of today....
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 06:49:44 »
I have an 850 Pro user generator that I use to run my Bosch easy trim at the lottie. I can usually start it on 2nd attempt but as we have 3 plots and lots of paths it takes around 1 hour for me to strim the edges. The generator doesn't like to be turned off as it then takes several attempts and bad languge to restart. Fellow plot holders have bought the Aldi one. It is fine for strimmers but apparently most modern electric mowers are 1000 w so won't run off gerator. I tried an old electric mower a couple of years ago and after a few minutes the safety cut out kicked in. I then checked the rating-should have done that first I know but being an enthusiastic female didn't think ::)- and found it to be 1000w so gave that up as a bad job.

Hi_Hoe

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 21:35:23 »
I bit the bullet and bought one yesterday morning (sunday).

It fired first time and isnt really that noisy. Even managed to use an old hover mower down the lotty, albeit it ran slower than on mains 240v and didnt quite "hover" - but it still did the trick.  ;D

I'd image for running a strimmer or some other less ppowered tool this genny would be fine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal