Author Topic: Blight - absolutely gutted  (Read 4526 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Blight - absolutely gutted
« on: July 16, 2012, 09:51:15 »
Yesterday I had to rip up all the tomato plants and also cut all the foliage off the potatoes  :'(  :'(  :'(
I noticed that on the site there were quite a few other people with blackened potato plants and withering tomatoes. Such a shame. I will clear out the tomato bed next weekend and plant something else, more beans, leeks, cabbage - I can't bear looking at the empty space.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
Re: Blight - absolutely gutted
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 10:26:01 »
Bad luck  :( It's not a good year, is it?

Never mind - maybe you'll have more luck with the cold-weather plants. Onward and upward! ;)

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 10:44:04 »
It really is sad when we take so much time sowing,pricking out,potting on,planting out  :(
The OH went down the lottie last week and chopped all the potato tops and dug up about 30-40 toms.I'm just pleased we have a few in the greenhouses.we've been careful to water with tap water as we got blight in the greenhouse one year and it was suggested that the rainwater from the butts may have been the culprit.
sanity is overated

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 11:05:29 »
Such heart breaking stuff

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 11:21:08 »
I'm just pleased we have a few in the greenhouses.we've been careful to water with tap water as we got blight in the greenhouse one year and it was suggested that the rainwater from the butts may have been the culprit.
How so macmac?

Yes the toms were specials too, saved seed and fancy varieties that I had sown myself. A lot of bother for nothing.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 11:37:19 »
Very sorry to hear this  :(

As someone already said, it is a rubbish year for the garden.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 12:32:51 »
I'm just pleased we have a few in the greenhouses.we've been careful to water with tap water as we got blight in the greenhouse one year and it was suggested that the rainwater from the butts may have been the culprit.
How so macmac?

Yes the toms were specials too, saved seed and fancy varieties that I had sown myself. A lot of bother for nothing.

We were told that it was washing off the roof ??? I've no idea if that's possible but the garden tap is opposite the greenhouse so quite convenient and the OH likes to use the rainwater to top up his beloved koi pond  :)
sanity is overated

ksia

• Quarter Acre
  • Mayenne, France
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 20:23:32 »
Sorry to hear about the blight. It really is the main thing which depresses me in the garden  :'(

We have it too on the potatoes. I've cut the foliage down on half the plants but the others are still pretty green and as they're predicting a week of sunshine I think I'll try to hang on and see how it goes.

For the last few years my tomatoes have been destroyed by blight. This year, my tomatoes are still under protection in the greenhouse. They'll go into the poly when it's finished this weekend.
Then no-one else will be allowed in to try to avoid any contamination and they'll be carefully watered with well water. I really hope I get to crop loads of tomatoes (especially as we've just bought and put up this poly!)

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 12:58:23 »
I went up to check my potatoes this morning and was delighted to find no blight (despite lots of blight warnings). However I then walked round the rest of the plot (I love seeing what others are doing) and blight seemed to be everywhere.

I am going to keep a close eye on it but presume I wont get anything from main/late crop potatoes if I have to cut them down now? Usually I cut them down before I go on holiday end of August because of blight beginning. This is so early!

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 13:25:23 »
gwynleg you could try removing the lower foliage of your spuds and dousing them well in Bordeaux mixture and giving it a few more days. But in my experience once the plague starts it will eventually spread to all plots. I wouldn't cut them till I see more definite signs though.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 16:28:20 »
Me too as of yesterday - although my spuds seem ok-ish my Toms aren't looking good.  It is pissing down now and warm and I am off to Paris for the weekend - when I get back I fully expect all my toms to be mush.. 

There is alwyas next year and I have 10 plants in the polly so all it not lost yet!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 17:16:24 »
I've just come back from the lottie and it looks like mine have the begins of blight on the leaves, nothing on the stalks as yet, how long do I have, this is the first time I've ever had blight, the tommies on site get them every year but never spread to my spuds. My earlies are all out and I've started to dig my Charlottes, looks like I'll be digging up a few rows the weekend.   :'(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 17:34:51 »
I found some suspiciously marked leaves yesterday. I pulled them off the plants and chucked them in a dalek; I can't see any deterioration overnight.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 19:13:12 »
I think all my potatoes are now suffering, a small patch of mayan gold still have little problem and three tomato plants sun gold only have minor amounts.  But mostly it is devastation.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 21:00:12 »
Such a pity antipodes,lots of nurturing for nothing..... :(

After finding 3 red alerts(outside) with blight yesterday I am now worrying that the spores will/have already spread to our GH and PT but as yet they look fine albeit devoid of fruit to any degree.......now then ....I have dug quite a few salads and so far the spuds are fine but I do not have any experience of what potato blight
is........so (nieve moment) is it the same black markings as on the tommy stems etc...or does it show up differently as (touch wood) I at the mo have no unatural markings on the tatters.?

Gazza

KMARKSnr

• Quarter Acre
  • I`m not "young enough" to know everything !
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 09:04:05 »
All of our allotments are hit with blight (nr Wigan),I`ve planted all Sarpo(blight resistant) and am still touched with blight.
           I went around my crop of approx` 100 tubers picking any discoloured leaves off and am now just watching and waiting fingers,legs crossed  ::)

Regards
i`m not "young enough" to know everything !

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 12:37:46 »
Sorry to hear this. 

I have cried before now when blight has struck so early, just couldn't stop it .......  hug for you - I feel your pain.

This is a pretty grim gardening year.

Plant lots of follow ons and autumn/winter vegetables right away, just to have something else to look at.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 13:32:50 »
I still have some tomatoes which are just going I am hoping that the weather has turned in time to save them.

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 14:14:53 »
I think mine have also sucumbed to the beginining of the dreaded blight now...i'm keeping a very very close eye on them
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2012, 18:45:49 »
Some of my spuds IK that I dug a couple of weeks ago have started to rot and turn black hope the ones still left in the ground will fare better

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal