Author Topic: Olympics..soon  (Read 15658 times)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Olympics..soon
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2012, 08:07:41 »
http://blog.indexoncensorship.org/2012/07/13/london-2012-olympics-fails-internet/

In a clear display of idiocy LOCOG tries to insist you can only link to them if you have nice things to say!!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2012, 17:09:51 »
We got lots of coverage of the Queens Jubilee celebrations and it was wonderful, just like the England I remember.

Anyway, I wish everyone in the games good health and good luck and stay happy.

I wish all of you a safe Olympics with nothing bad happening.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2012, 17:30:58 »
Hi Jeannine, yes I felt very differently about the Queen's Jubilee, really brought a patriotic tear to my eye watching/attending some of the events that went on. It felt British, like it was about us & our Queen  ;D
Despite the awful weather we did celebrate in our thousands & for the pageant down the Thames the Royals stood out in the pouring rain for us for many hours....it felt like they cared about us, that we all mattered & were part of the same clan so to speak.

In contrast the Olympics feel like an alien invasion by sponsors & money grabbers  :(
No-one I know managed to get tickets.

The torch is coming to my home town tomorrow but I won't be seeing it as I am actually going to a very delayed Jubilee garden party in a neighbouring village. I feel much more excited about the Jubilee event than the torch. xjane

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2012, 18:04:06 »
It makes me wonder and chuckle that if you were all growing the tomato variety Olympic would the brand name police come and pull your plants up. And what about the blogger who has planted an Olympic garden with varieties of veg called Sprint, Prizewinner etc, her blog is full of the 5 rings that are the Olympic logo.

On another note, I used to be the area chair for BC Special Olympics, we could use the name but not the 5 ringed logo.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

pumkinlover

« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2012, 18:22:53 »
OOopppsssssssss, a local community group held a mini Olympics on Sunday!!!
We were given a poster to advertise it and it's still in the Allotment notice board.

I suppose they will be knocking on my door anytime now ??? ??? ???

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2012, 19:12:51 »

pumkinlover

« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2012, 21:27:12 »
If this is the sort of thing that they are worrying about instead of sorting out the real issues well..........[attachment=1]

anyway too late now they- have been and gone!

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2012, 06:07:34 »
Blimey reading through this thread has put a real dampener on my mood. To echo one earlier sentiment I love my country and it's far from the picture painted on here. Yes it has it's faults but then so does everywhere else. I suppose I'm lucky I actually live somewhere with a sense of local community where people know their neighbours and a 5 minute walk into town can take an hour cos you bumped into someone you know.

I for one can't wait for the Games to start and am fed-up with all the negative press. I have managed to get hold of some tickets, not for mainstream sports I wanted to see but still gives me the chance to be involved in something special. Two friends of mine got to run the torch relay and had the time of their lives.

The Jubilee was just as rammed down our throats as the Olympics and caused chaos getting in and out of London. For me, who couldn't give a hoot about hereditary privilege, that was hell on earth. Still others enjoyed themselves.

Anyway - two more days of the TDF to watch and hopefully history in the making before the Olympcs start!!

pumkinlover

« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2012, 08:22:40 »
Well said non-stick! and it is sad that TDF hardly gets a mention- the achievement of even competing is awesome  :)
fingers crossed for Bradley Wiggins  :)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2012, 08:36:26 »
Well said non-stick! and it is sad that TDF hardly gets a mention- the achievement of even competing is awesome  :)
fingers crossed for Bradley Wiggins  :)

Allez Wiggo!

pumkinlover

« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2012, 08:37:46 »
 ;D ;D

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2012, 09:10:35 »
I'm at stpanceas, headed for Paris,  vive le tour

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2012, 10:08:25 »
I'm at stpanceas, headed for Paris,  vive le tour

Give him a cheer from me, although there is only a bit of water between us he might even hear me. ;D

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2012, 10:34:33 »
I have to admit the british media are getting on my wick re the tour. Usually barely give it a mention but now the cries of chickens being counted before hatching is doing my head in. I have everything crossed for a successful time trial and then tour round paris tomorrow - capped by a Cav sprint finish and Wiggins-Froome 1-2. I love the TDF!!!

Then we get Hoy, Pendleton, etc in the Olympics - bring it on.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2012, 01:51:20 »
Wonderful to see someone who is looking forward to the games, it would be an awful situation of no one enjoyed them

There was a TV clip about the firm who is doing the security here. I was  amazed when the spokesman admitted he didn't have enough people but answered yes to the question of does he think he should be fully paid.

Stay safe folks, much much more inportant than anytning.

XX Jeannine

Vony

• Acre
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2012, 06:41:39 »
I just think it's a shame that the BBC choose to highlight all the negatives about the
Olympic games, instead of embracing the good things.

1) O.K. G4S security was wrong,
 2) We need to use the troops
 3) someone wanted to grab the torch,
 4) train from Weymouth was three hours late,
 5) The coach driver got lost on his way to the stadium

Typical gutter press  constantly searching for everything negative.

Constantly rammed down our throats

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2012, 11:15:59 »
We had a big BBQ party yesterday (birthday weekend) and one my friends lent me his torch so that people could share in what he was lucky enough to do. Seeing the excitement amongst the kids as they had photos taken with it (and a fair few adults as well) showed that there are quite a few getting excited.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2012, 12:02:19 »
I just think it's a shame that the BBC choose to highlight all the negatives about the
Olympic games, instead of embracing the good things.

1) O.K. G4S security was wrong,
 2) We need to use the troops
 3) someone wanted to grab the torch,
 4) train from Weymouth was three hours late,
 5) The coach driver got lost on his way to the stadium

Typical gutter press  constantly searching for everything negative.

Constantly rammed down our throats

It lets the rest of the world know what a shambles we are and so they should.

Why London? there were lots of places that could have been rejuvenated with a nice stadium, cleaned up slums etc. All easy to get to and not the traffic issues that are a common thing in the capital anyway. These games are just big business, a token run through with the torch and that's your lot. Don't dare try to cash in yourself, because 'we are all in it together' and the big society are not included. The volunteers need their heads testing, the millions that are being made off their backs will be salted away to pay bigger bonuses to the fat cats.  I for one want the border control people to go on strike, they have been treated very badly. Lets get the newspapers to work us up a frenzy, then the worm might turn.

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2012, 16:54:16 »
Yeah ACE, but what do you REALLY think? :D
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal