Author Topic: Olympics..soon  (Read 15756 times)

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Olympics..soon
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2012, 08:13:58 »
I'm feeling quite excited now :) Very much looking forward to the opening ceremony (even more so after the sneak previews this morning on the news)  :D

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2012, 11:48:38 »
I'm feeling quite excited now :) Very much looking forward to the opening ceremony (even more so after the sneak previews this morning on the news)  :D

Me too - can't wait :) :)

Tricia

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2012, 19:05:40 »
Me too, it is morning here for us so glad we are retired,.

Oh and I rang my bell by the way  lat night and we have Canadian and British flags flying side by side.

XX »Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2012, 13:17:36 »
Since this seems to have become the official thread for griping about Seb Coe's Sportsday, I thought that people might be interested in this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfftgb4KOlE&feature=player_detailpage

My son was part of this crowd, which is a regular last-Friday-of-the-month cycling event.  Normally the police facilitate the ride, or at least aren't aggressive with the cyclists.  Yesterday, because of these ridiculous games, it was different.  The group were south of Blackfriars Bridge, literally miles away from the Stratford stadium, when a car tried to drive through the group.  It happens.  As I say, normally the police sort it out good-humouredly.

This time the policeman and policewoman simply strode into the cyclists, who had stopped for a traffic light, and pushed them to the ground.  As my son pointed out, if you're standing astride a bicycle and someone pushes you violently in the back, you'll end up in a tangle of limbs and bike frame on the floor, and it hurts.

The girl with the red-dyed fringe made the mistake of remonstrating with the policeman who had so unexpectedly assaulted her, and got knocked about again for her pains.

The old guy in the hell's angels getup on the mobility scooter apparently can't walk very far, but he's obviously not lacking in upper body strength, as the out-of-control policeman found out.

The police justification for this is section 12 of the Public Order Act.  
Quote from:  amendment to Public Order Act
If the senior police officer, having regard to the time or place at which and the circumstances in which any public procession is being held or is intended to be held and to its route or proposed route, reasonably believes that—
(a)it may result in serious public disorder, serious damage to property or serious disruption to the life of the community, or
(b)the purpose of the persons organising it is the intimidation of others with a view to compelling them not to do an act they have a right to do, or to do an act they have a right not to do,
he may give directions imposing on the persons organising or taking part in the procession such conditions as appear to him necessary to prevent such disorder, damage, disruption or intimidation, including conditions as to the route of the procession or prohibiting it from entering any public place specified in the directions.

Enjoy the sporting circus.  Don't step out of line.  Especially enjoy the cycling.  Just don't ride one yourself. This is Britain.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 13:20:23 by Melbourne12 »

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2012, 13:28:23 »
Living in SW France, without a  tv, and with an Applemac that is just slightly too old to be able to access French tv direct, we are unable to watch the Olympics, and obviously not the opening ceremony . . . . but I've just rung my 103 yr old mum, who is more excited and voluble than she has been for two or three years (and she is generally in excellent and with-it form).  She told me she had just seen some of the mens' athletics, and it is only the beginning, and she is spoilt for choice - she is just thrilled with it all, so  that makes up for us not being able to see any, unless we go to French neighbours, of course!

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2012, 08:55:58 »
I didn't think that I'd bother to watch any of the Olympics on Youtube or iPlayer, but this clip contains the highlight of the games for me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zoQaMUvd_4&feature=player_embedded

The organisers, apparently without irony, had asked Sepp Blatter to present the medals for the women's football.  It was of course the unlovely Mr Blatter who said that women's football should only be encouraged if the players wore skimpy shorts and tassels.

Anyway, to my great delight, at 3min 10 sec into the film clip, the crowd boo him to the rafters!  Couldn't have happened to a nicer fella!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal