Author Topic: Strawberry plants without runners!  (Read 1201 times)

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
Strawberry plants without runners!
« on: July 09, 2012, 08:35:09 »
I had some free strawberry plants (voucher from Daily Mail) and they do not have signs of any runners. Can these be saved for next year, and how, please?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Strawberry plants without runners!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 08:53:54 »
All fruiting strawberries are perennials..so yes, they can be saved and propably crop better next year too.
How/where you are growing your plants?..if in ground, just leave them be and next spring, just when the new growth is starting come, tidy up all old leaves.
What variety they are?

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 10:32:41 »
I am not sure of the variety, unfortunately. They are in the ground and have given me quite a good crop of sweet strawberries. So pleased they will come back next year. :)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 12:53:03 »
In my experience, not all varieties reliably produce runners!  Strawberries in general will give for 3 or 4 years, after that you will probably want to replace them as the yield starts to diminish.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 14:37:52 »
In some varieties the runners come later.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal