Author Topic: Challenge! How much can you grow in 3 months.  (Read 1444 times)

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
Challenge! How much can you grow in 3 months.
« on: July 05, 2012, 19:47:59 »
I thought of a great challenge. Due to the poor weather and the disheartenment of many allotment holders on this forum I thought it would be fun to have a go at something different and see what we all can grow in 3 months on our plots. If it fails then hey nothing ventured nothing gained atleast we went out and had a bit of fun and tried.

So the challenge is to get as many different types of veg to crop within 3 month starting from next week from seed. It has to be sown from seed and not ready bought plants (but that maybe allowed  ;) ;D )

Just thought it maybe a good idea to lift our spirits and help to keep our plots tidy  ;D :-X
Be kind to slugs and snails!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Challenge! How much can you grow in 3 months.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 20:20:10 »
Sounds like it could be fun, though I'm not sure how much room will be spare to join in the challenge. I've already re-sown some crops which are waiting to be planted out, other spaces will be for overwintering type crops. But I'll get my thinking cap on over the weekend   ;D

How large an area are you planning?

Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 21:17:57 »
Sounds like it could be fun, though I'm not sure how much room will be spare to join in the challenge. I've already re-sown some crops which are waiting to be planted out, other spaces will be for overwintering type crops. But I'll get my thinking cap on over the weekend   ;D

How large an area are you planning?

If it is a small area then sow a few seeds of each type of quick growing veg you would like to try. If it a large area then you can sow and try as many as you want.

What I thought would be also good is if people have a perenial weedy area like we all have on our plots (or is it just me  ::)  :P ) then you could get that cleared and also try on that area meaning it will be clear for next season  ;D

There are no rules really its just a bit of fun ;) ;D If it does not work then hey nothing lost other than a few cheap seeds and a bit of time. What you will gain though is a tidy area to have a go at planting up properly next season or even to plant in winter onion sets and garlic ;D

Also it was an idea to try and reverse our fortunes and get something from our plots even if it is a few radish and a lettuce :P Also it keeps our allotment gardening spirits up :D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 21:21:57 by the_snail »
Be kind to slugs and snails!

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 22:56:16 »
sowed the last of my pak choi last week - would that count?  Any ideas of what else I could sow (please not lettuce I am swamped in them).

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal