Author Topic: It's hissing down  (Read 2132 times)

ACE

• Hectare
It's hissing down
« on: July 03, 2012, 08:27:45 »
I have to go out in the pouring rain to help set up a site for our local Folk Festival  http://www.folkstation.co.uk/ It is held on some farmland and it is likely to get a bit muddy, I have been out a couple of weekends ago and dug some ditches with a digger to help drainage, but with this amount of rain we are loosing a fighting battle. Festival goers are used to wearing wellies but can be a bit tricky doing a dosey doe in them. I shall be running a workshop on how to play for country dance, but I think I might be better doing one for synchronised swimming.  We need the morris dancers now to dance for better weather. Wish us luck and all put your hands together to plead for some sunshine.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: It's hissing down
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 08:57:06 »
Did some recorder playing for morris dancing last week, certainly did not stop the rain. ;D  Luckily inside.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 09:07:16 »
Ace...have you heard any of the bands that are playing here... http://www.stainsbyfestival.org.uk/index.shtml
I've never been on folk music 'scene' and  I'm getting quite curious of Stainsby weekend..only found out about it and as it is practically on my doorstep it might be worth of checking it out.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 19:22:30 »
I have not heard of any of them, but if it is done on a shoestring they will be local artists, might even be a hidden talent in amoungst them. The words 'world music' would put me off going. It alway seems to be a mother earth figure singing her own compositions and accompanied by a lump of chinese plywood and a plectrum. Can get very tedious. I move in the traditional british folk music genre, which is also very tedious if you don't like it.

But if it is free check it out, everyone to their own tastes. A few quarts of scrumpy and you will be up dancing.

We done nothing today as we think the marquee people will not be able to get on site, so a quick scout around to find village halls etc. might be the order of the day.

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 19:43:33 »
We used to be regulars at Stainsby and our friends still go. We liked to take caravan, but now you have to camp and I like my home comforts!! It is a great weekend, the site is on a slope, but it also has gone a bit too hippie ish for us now -or maybe we are getting older. It's a bit noisy at night and I like my beauty sleep! but if you are into festivals it is a good one.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 20:34:51 »
Code: [Select]
A few quarts of scrumpy and you will be up dancing.Oh yes I would..and that would be without any music.. ::) ;D

I can't believe that I've lived so close to Stainsby for nearly 20 yrs and I only just spotted the festival few weeks ago.. ::) It's not advertized much. I'm not into idea of camping but as it is so close to home making a entrace of 'hippy' scene would not be trouble...I'm just getting younger.. ;) ;D Haven't been in any music venues for yeeears.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 21:59:04 »
We're off to Burton Agnes Jazz and Blues festival at the weekend- first proper weekend away in our campervan. Glad we're not in a tent but hope we can get off the site at the end of the weekend. Daughter's going to T in the Park. Could be a lot of very dirty washing by the end of the weekend! ::)

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 22:04:22 »
Ohh are you going round the gardens as well Caroline?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 19:20:06 »
Well the suns shining the marquees are up, let hope the people turn up. the forecast is dire but everything is in place for a good weekend.

Next festival I shall be going to is Moira, at the old furnace. http://www.moirafurnacefolkfestival.co.uk/ Then on to Staveley for a week. Is it easy to use the old tread iron to get into Chesterfield along the canal. Then I can have a tincture or two if I have my bike to wobble home on back to the caravan.

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 20:03:31 »

wish it was hissing down here,, 36c    45c with humidity. it's terrible..

qahtan

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal