Author Topic: Kids and Rent  (Read 5208 times)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Kids and Rent
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 17:38:45 »
I agree that having had kids by our choice we have to take responsibility for them till we're dead and I wouldn't dream of booting out my own daughter but part of being a parent is teaching them to take responsibility for themselves and others and contributing to nearer family and wider society, rather than being an unnecessary and selfish burden.

If the OP thinks £25 is enough to help her own financial situation then fine but both daughters should be paying and without any quibbling.  they should also be made aware of just how much it costs to run a family home and feed them and they should also expect to contribute more as their own circumstances improve - both financially and by doing regular household chores.
Obxx - Vendée France

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 19:15:47 »
Our council tax & water cost nearly £2500 a year, gas & electric another £1000. That's just for 2 of us, with 2 more girls in the house the electric would certainly go up. Obviously DP you know if £25 per week is enough but I don't think it's teaching lessons in life. How does your OH feel about things?
Good luck with what you decide to do ;D.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2012, 22:54:14 »
If she wont pay - don't do her washing & ironing or other chores, no TV or electrical items neither (if she didn't pay to a utility company they would cut her off).  If she can't afford it then household and garden chores to earn her keep.  I will be charging my 2 kids £50 per week at todays rates if they end up working and living at home.  If they are looking for work productivley then negotiable, again paid for by chores.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2012, 10:23:47 »
While I agree with Ollie, having spent some time in care, and now without parents for decades, you have to fix an amount you think is fair... and if they are getting board and lodgings anything under £50pw is a laugh. Tell her straight if she thinks she can do it cheaper renting and looking out for herself go and do it. If not cough up and stop complaining.  :-X

Agree. This is what we have said all along to our two, and whilst we are happy to support them while they are doing higher educaction, we made it clear we expect them to contribute to the household when they are working.

The eldest promptly got her own flat at 18 and is just about managing on her income now she is in paid employment. We sometimes have to sub her a bit when she runs out early, but boy does she appreciate the cost of things now! Younger son sees all this and has decided if we charge him for staying at home, he will leave as well and get his own place.....how our daughter now laughs at that! ;D Bless him, he asked if he would have to pay if he gets a Saturday job....... ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2012, 14:33:30 »
Thanks for all your replies and suggestions, it is interesting to hear other peoples points of view :)

I don't know what I said or what I did, but I handed over my bank details to her, asked for £50 a week, and her 1st 2 weeks went in with no quibbling! :o  Maybe it is cos her glandular fever returned and she was appreciating Mum! ;D

The original idea was to save the money for them, and give it back when they left home, sadly circumstances have changed that idea, but who knows what may happen down the road, am going to keep a record, and if we win the lottery.................... ::)

If I have an argument on my hands next time, I shall do as suggested and give her a list of our outgoing living expenses, and suggest she could pay a 1/4!!  :D Its funny really, she has just done a 6 month stint volunteering in Tanzania, the I really appreciate Mum/food/ home/car/ washing machine etc. bit rubbed off very quickly!!

Thanks for all your help

DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal