Author Topic: Runners vs climbing French beans  (Read 8069 times)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
Re: Runners vs climbing French beans
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 19:58:12 »
That's the same for French beans, so they say.

I'm starting to think I ought to give runners another chance going on what everyone says here!

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 07:17:57 »
Home grown runners are magic, not tough and stringy at all if you get a decent variety (I like White Lady) - they don't like hanging around so shop bought ones are always inferior. Preparation for eating or freezing easy too, just need chopping into chunks and home ones are lovely and tender, no need for stringing or bean slicers.
I like French too, especially Cobra and Borlotti but runners need defending as they're a brilliant crop in British climate for home growers.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2012, 08:19:11 »
I have to agree runners are magic. I adore the frenchies for diversity of growing types and seeds, the beans are lovely but sliced runners are plain scrumptious  ;D
I like Red Rum for an early or late crop in the polytunnel, they seem to set well, not the longest of beans but good and reliable. Plants overwintered last year so I'm growing the year old vines, looking good so far  :)
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2012, 13:03:59 »
Runners need to be fresh and small - the ones I see in the market are all too old and big - and either eaten fresh or frozen straight away.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2012, 18:07:04 »
I have a wigwam of runners and another of frenchies and I know that I`ll end up freezing too many, after giving some away. I am contemplating growing both in the same wigwam next year and sowing another variety broad bean as well as aquadulce. Anyone else grown two types up the same poles?

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2012, 19:28:52 »
Anyone else grown two types up the same poles?

I haven't but if space is tight it sounds like it could be a good compromise  :)

I must be a fussy moo as I'm not keen on frozen runners and don't bother to freeze them any more. I just try and extend the croping season for as long as possible. Some of the french beans are ok frozen though,  I like the pencil type pod ones best.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2012, 19:56:16 »
Ours are all mixed up, now. They've been getting eaten or battered as quickly as I can put them in and the ones I sowed direct never had a chance. I've re sown today and am keeping them inside until they're a decent size, treating the weather like it's still april  ;D

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2012, 21:52:20 »
My Mrs Fortune's was saved last year; I got excellent germination from it, so if you have any problems we probably need to look at how we're handling it.
I sowed 6 of everything Robert and dropped one of yours so 5 are climbing and doing as well as can be expected in this flaming June. Will be interested to see how they compare with the others. Certainly they're well ahead of the old seeds so freshness does matter. Would like to post some pics but haven't quite worked out how to do it Regards.

oldpot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2012, 23:11:50 »
when in uk runners was the thing i grew few types but like lady di , now in usa i cannot grow runners to save my life ( gets too hot in summer to grow them )so i go with climbing french beans m8 send me from uk few years back and there great but love to grow runners as they got that lovely taste to them .

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal