Author Topic: Runners vs climbing French beans  (Read 8084 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Runners vs climbing French beans
« on: June 19, 2012, 07:15:55 »
I adore eating runners they are definitely my favourite green bean, despite the faff to prepare them.
Both produce a decent size crop.
But French beans come into their own with shellies and dried seed.
If you could only grow one, which would you choose?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: Runners vs climbing French beans
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 07:19:53 »
For a special treat, the first pickings of young runners take some beating.

But it would be a difficult choice.  Apart from anything else, having both is a good insurance policy.  Last year our runners weren't very productive, but the climbing French were good.  The year before it was the other way round.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 07:23:54 »
I do like Mrs Lewis's purple podded.  Seem to be surviving the slugs too.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 08:22:30 »
If I was only to grow one bean it would probably have to be BLue Lake I think... not my favourite green bean (Cobra) and a long way from my favourite shelled bean (there are loads), but it's pretty good green and it does dry to a good cannellini....

I don't grow runners in case they outbreed with my giganda beans, as far as we can tell giganda's are a P.coccineus variety and unlike french beans (P.vulgaris) they don't  self-set before flower opening.... Gigandas definitely aren't P.lunatus, the cotyledons don't emerge (they do for both vulgaris and lunatus).... I do grow a lunatus variety, Painted Lima.... there are other bean types too.... I'm pretty sure that my pinto beans aren't any of the above species.... hope the two plants I managed to get to germinate (had problems this year, will solve for next) set seed....

There is huge variety amongst french beans, way more than the runners (even allowing for gigandas), if you took an Egyptian Pea-Bean, a Borlotti, a Soldier Bean, a San Antonio, a Cobra, a Mennonite Stripe and a Cherokee Trail of Tears and laid them side-by side ready to eat you wouldn't really think they were all the same species, though of course telling Box from Egyptian Pea-bean or telling Bridgewater, POlish Climber or Bird Egg from Borlotti is pretty hard unless you get a chance to watch the plants grow and then have a pile from each set of plants in front of you...

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 08:25:58 »
This is the first year I am growing runners! I am amazed by their vigour, they are already about 70cm tall. I am unsure how to prepare them but I will give it a go. We don't eat them in Australia.
I too like climbing French, I grow Cobra which are very reliable. I liked a climber called Gold something (Goldmine? Goldfield?) which gives flat yellow beans. very tasty but my saved seeds got eaten by beasties in storage.  I also grow yellowwax types, I like their mild flavour and lack of strings. There is lots of variety in beans!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Stevens706

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 12:34:59 »
My wife and daughters don't like runners so for the past couple of years I have only grown climbing french beans, however this year I am growing 2 runners just for me :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 12:44:29 »
I'm not keen on runners either, but they're OK when picked young.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 14:02:24 »
If it is just variety out all possible beans that I would be allowed to grow it would be Cosse Violet. It naver fails to crop and it yields lot of stringless beans that are still tender even when gone bit 'over'.
Even if I don't have room for full row of Cosses every year..I usually manage to put one or two somewhere for few tasty beans...just for ME.. ;D

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 14:26:06 »
I think for eating the pods, definitely French beans.

I used to grow runners and I think they can stand poor weather much better, but they're just so stringy and tough compared to French beans.

Can't you eat dried runner beans as well?

small

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 15:19:23 »
I find French freeze better (I've only grown Blue Lake, really) but I wouldn't want to miss that first boiling of runners. Marginally, the climbing French are easier to grow....but I like my runners scarlet flowers, and they are more fun to pick....no, sorry, can't choose.   Mangetout versus 'proper' peas, no problem of course....

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 15:25:24 »
Code: [Select]
Can't you eat dried runner beans as well? You mean the seeds?..yes. I eat more runners as dried beans than I do green. They are not for everybody's taste but I like them. I get loads of seeds in the end of summer from my neighbouring allotmenteers as they would otherwise just throw them into compost heap.. ;D..their loss and my gain...FREE food.. ;D

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 15:36:45 »
French are easier to grow in this dry part of the country.  I definitely don't have enough water stores to give runner beans all the water they need.  However i always grow at least one variety.  When we get rain just at the right time, the pods are just so sweet and big,  better than French beans any day.  Unfortunately this happens so rarely here and most of the time we get small, woody runnerbean pods.

Overall, the French beans have it, regretfully .....

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 16:59:07 »
Mmmm spot on Melbourne, young runners and a dab of butter, my mouth is watering at the thought. I noticed the first few beans are starting to set, yum yum :)
Good for you Stevens706  ;D
I forget somtimes how generally drier it is in some parts. Runners usually grow well here, I guess its the extra rain we often seem to get here, though a mixed blessing at times  :(
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 17:15:37 »
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 17:58:55 »
This is a hard choice.

I like my Gigandes which are runners so once every so often this is the only runner I grow so grow more French that year.I inteneded to grow a wall of mixed colour runners this year but went for a wall of tall peas instead so French beans are all bush. The Gigandes are growing well though on a rose arbour.

I like my dry beans  so I may have to choose.... don't know, can't decide LOL

I have used dried Scarlet runners in chilli. I have about 5 lbs right now and they may end up there.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 18:19:13 »

I can't decide which I like best, so I grow both.
   June.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 18:40:11 »
I grow a wigwam of runners - that's plenty for us, and I can't grow more than one variety without crossing - and a lot of different French beans. This year I'm growing half a dozen climbers for a crop, and about a dozen more varieties for seed.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 21:12:17 »
I'm doing a mini trial of my own saved seed of painted lady and trail of tears plus some of Roberts Mrs. Fortunes versus the original seed from the suppliers. Admittedly the original seed is old but at the moment my own saved seed 'painted lady' is ahead of the others.
Interestingly my seed is much paler [and bigger] than the original. Most are very behind and struggling to climb with the winds but hopefully a couple of days warm weather will cheer them up before the rain again on Thurs. and once again the slugs and snails take their toll.  ::) ::)
I like them [beans not slugs] all dried and young and green but french are probably more convenient. Trail of tears are the one I'd go for if I had to choose.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 12:39:46 »
My Mrs Fortune's was saved last year; I got excellent germination from it, so if you have any problems we probably need to look at how we're handling it.

pumkinlover

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 13:41:27 »
Code: [Select]
Can't you eat dried runner beans as well? You mean the seeds?..yes. I eat more runners as dried beans than I do green. They are not for everybody's taste but I like them. I get loads of seeds in the end of summer from my neighbouring allotmenteers as they would otherwise just throw them into compost heap.. ;D..their loss and my gain...FREE food.. ;D

Just a reminder that runner bean seeds need to be really well cooked or can cause illness.

bean information

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal