Author Topic: When to plant strawberries  (Read 1615 times)

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
When to plant strawberries
« on: June 15, 2012, 08:08:57 »
We are planning a full blown strawberry bed for next year and would like to get things planted this year.

When is the best time to get things planted?

We were planning on using a bed which currently has earlies in, but reading on a site it says should avoided because of verticillium wilt.

Will it make any difference getting cold stored runners now or planting normal runners in the Autumn?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 08:49:48 by notts_phil »

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: When to plant strawberries
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 08:14:42 »
If you get cold stored runners they will fruit late this year, reverting to June/July next year. We will be potting up runners anytime soon for planting later this year.  :)

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 10:26:00 »
Noo.. dont follow spuds.. if you cultivate or acquire runners in late summer, snip them off and plant them out when they have 4 leaves. 
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 12:41:32 »
I got some cold store runners from Ken Muir this time last year and they are doing well now.  It was nice to get a few late fruit from them. But my own rooted runners in litre pots from last year are doing well now too.  They were planted after early carrots and given loads of compost.  Cheaper bought ones planted in autumn will give me the old strawberry this year.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 13:49:03 »
ken muir, they are selling plants up to july. Great plants too

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 13:59:12 »
I ordered 50 assorted strawberry plants from Ken Muir when I took over my allotment in early April. They didn't come till May (I believe for cultivation purposes). They were from their cold store and quite frankly I thought they were half dead but planted them according to their instructions. They are full of fruit! Not ripening yet but plenty there. A perpetual variety that went into a spare large plastic tub already has thrown off several runners. Ken Muir also provides an informative instruction booklet. I'm now trying to get a straw bale then they will be netted.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal