Author Topic: White Crocus/Saffron - anyone tried before?  (Read 1419 times)

irridium

• Acre
White Crocus/Saffron - anyone tried before?
« on: June 12, 2012, 09:30:40 »
http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Flowers/Bulbs/Saffron+Crocus+White_MH2994.htm am tempted by this offer and am wondering how successful growing your saffron is in this country. they say this one's better as the the purple variety as it's hardier.. can anyone comment on their exeriences. thanks.

chriselst

• Quarter Acre
    • AHAA
Re: White Crocus/Saffron - anyone tried before?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 13:54:28 »
This months Grow It! magazine (as in June, not the one currently on sale) had an offer for saffron bulbs.

IIRC you got 30 bulbs for free, just a fiver for delivery.

They were the purple ones though.

I fancy giving them a go just because 'it is more expensive than gold'.

Plus I'd like to take some into the canteen at work and explain to them that 'saffron rice' is rice that has been coloured with saffron, and not just what you call normal rice when you serve it with a curry.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 13:56:50 »
I'm still trying to 'master' the art of growing these with the 'ordinary' purple ones...BUT...thanks for the link.
I can feel the dreaded shopping urge coming on.. ;) ;D ;D..10 is just enough to start with as next year this time there should be 30 new ones at least.. ;D
Now where did I put my credit card...? :-\

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 14:07:00 »
Phew...found the card and it still works..but as I finalized the transaction..I saw that pink blueberry.. ::)..supposed to be sweeter than blue blueberries.. ::)
Well..that order will have to wait for another time..I'm not paying delivery twice.. ::)
I'm sure next winter I'll make some more interesting fruit and berry purchases.. ;D ;D

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 15:35:07 »
hey.. am still umming and arring over this and think i'll go for the 5 bulb pack.. if you want goodlife, i can get the pinkberry plant for you and you can pick it up when you're next in the city..? tho' i wouldn't want to buy a fruit plant now as it'll be in full growth and it'll prob not be in good cond. when it arrives.  :o

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 15:40:59 »
Code: [Select]
if you want goodlife, i can get the pinkberry plant for you and you can pick it up when you're next in the city..?
Ohhh...very kind offer.. ;D What about..if 5 bulbs is enough for you..you could get 5 out of my saffron bulbs for the pink blueberry..? ;) Would that be any good?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal