Author Topic: Seed germination temperatures  (Read 5366 times)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re: Seed germination temperatures
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2005, 23:24:37 »
Not too early,not too deep,not too close

That sounds like wise advise. I think I like you, welcome aboard Rose.mary ;) ;D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2005, 11:31:43 »
Like tim i too have nothing (much) sown yet, just a few lettuce and corn salad in a growbag in the greenhouse. My greenhouse is a bit too cold and I havent yet summoned the courage to try anything else yet.

That website somebody found giving temperatures hasnt really given me much encouragement to do so, usefull though it is.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2005, 15:04:43 »
running electric heating in a greenhouse in these conditions, however, doesnt seem very environmentally friendly to me...
No offence taken Svea, the amount of heat used to heat a bench or propagator to beta the freezing that Tim complains of is trivial - my 4' x 2'6" uses around a unit a day in v. cold weather.

Phil

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2005, 15:43:32 »
As comparison, may I show this again?

As I understand it, a heated whatever can only  give you a 20F lift.  I could not, therefore, be raising toms etc in the lean-to at present.

If I raised them inside, they would go out onto the bench where, again, I could not maintain 60F bottom heat. And although the toms in the pic are almost ready for out (April), they certainly can't go for some weeks - into a cold house.

In this weather, a 6'x3' 300W bench would cost about 50p/day. Too much for an OAP! If I bide my wee, it will be less than half that in a month's time. I reckon.

So -  we wait until both the unit & my pocket can cope.

PS Capillary bench with tanks on the left.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 16:07:42 by tim »

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2005, 08:52:20 »
Tim,

I was only suggesting the electrical heating to stop your freezing problems and hence speed the germination of theings like Broad Beans at this time of year.

Sowing toms etc for planting out or even an unheated greenhouse now is far too early.

You could vote Tory and spend your Council tax rebate on electricity!  ;)

Phil

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2005, 09:07:15 »
We don't get it - 'cos one daughter lives with us!!!

My spiel, btw,  was for general elucidation.

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2005, 11:19:35 »
What Tim Tories !! or Council Tax!!
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2005, 11:29:32 »
I don't think one can generalize about times to sew outside as it depends on the area you live in.
My plot is in Halifax and I have been digging and working on it, Saturday(not so good),Sunday and Monday superb after 11am. I have a friend who lives in Alwoodley, Leeds and he has snow on the ground. That is a distance of only 20-25 miles.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2005, 11:46:25 »
Nothing to do with temps - but our ground won't be even diggable, let alone sowable -  for at least 3 weeks.
It's just sog!

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2005, 11:53:23 »
Tim ;)

Nothing to do with Gardening.....Checked out the Photo

Excellent as an Ex Serviceman....my Complements

On this Point Tim I am Very Serious

Mike

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2005, 12:58:21 »
My spiel, btw,  was for general elucidation.

Sorry (again) Tim,

I didn't quite rise to the level of General in my 20 years working for the Queen so I missed your point  ;)

Phil

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2005, 14:01:11 »
Hello Tim,
As you have probably gathered I am new to allotments and I only got to share a plot on January 15 2005. It was in a bad state as the man who has it had lost heart a bit.
I had to start diggong at once if I wanted to plant in Mar/April and I have been very lucky with the weather. I have managed to dig 3-4 days a week(apart from last week) from 11am - 4.45pm. At first my boots got very heavy with mud until I hit on the idea of laying a layer of sand down before I started digging. So far I have dug 8 plots, the minimum being 4' x 16'. I have had to cope with clay soil,couch grass,bind weed, dandelions,and docks. I have added lots of river sand and because I have not got any compost ready I have bought lots of cheap grow bags and added those as well.
By the way I too remember the war days and digging for victory. ;D
Rosemary

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2005, 15:59:16 »
Well done you!

Yes - 'breaking the ground' is an essential, and something you can do, as opposed to the 'refining' that I have to do. Walking on mine now would just clod it down & negate all the lovely work the frost has done.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2005, 12:55:26 »
Rose.mary,

It sounds as though you have beds - one of the great advantages of which is that you can cultivate them when the soil is too wet to walk on.

As Tim says - well done you

Phil

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2005, 13:33:56 »
Thank you Tim and Phil. I do feel in need of encouragement at the moment.
I am in my late 60's and gave up my garden 3 years ago thinking I was getting too old to keep up to it, but I suffered badly ever spring my fingers itching for the soil :(, so I took on this challenge not knowing if I could even dig. :-
My plot did not have beds as such , but on reading the good advice, given out by your goodselves, I decided to create raised beds to aid drainage. I just trod down the dug soil (very messy)where I wanted the paths to be and dug it down a little -thus creating raised beds. I have now laid down bits of carpet on the paths to reduce muddy boots. It seems to be working O.K. as I went down to check if things were O.K. this morning and there are one or two little pools where the beds have drained off. :)
Rosemary

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2005, 13:38:23 »
Blimey Rose.mary. You must be fit and strong! I have a 3m x 3m patch of clay soil to dig (hasn't been cultivated in years), with Mr Aqui's help and we're half your age. But it's far too heavy and cold to start on yet. I'd do my back in after one hour's digging!
gone to pot :D

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2005, 17:13:26 »
I like the idea of carpeted paths. Good practice for when you meet the Queen for your devotion to duty medal??

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2005, 23:04:38 »
Nothing doing Tim,  the carpets are not red, or if they are you can't see the colour  for muck[/i
Rosemary

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2005, 07:38:43 »
Rosemary - this is for many others too - if it makes you cross that you've mucked up your spelling, or photo or whatever, just 'modify' & re-do it??

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2005, 09:21:32 »
Good to Know :)

Thank you Tim

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal