Author Topic: Seed germination temperatures  (Read 5357 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Seed germination temperatures
« on: February 24, 2005, 16:42:56 »
I just found this and thought others might find it useful.

http://www.adrians.utvinternet.com/GoodEarth/vegseed.htm
gone to pot :D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Seed germination temperatures
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 18:36:29 »
That's an interesting one - wonder where he got his info.

The big trouble, of course, is that most folk don't have several propagators. It's always a fight for 'first'.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 20:03:06 »
If you want a really good if somewhat odd read, try to get hold of a book by a Professor Deno, Seed Germination and Practice. This deals with all sorts of ways of getting seeds to germinate. Admittedly most of them are not vegetables,but it does make fascinating reading.
Gardening is the great leveller.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 21:49:44 »
Thanks Aqui, I saved it for quick reference.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 11:03:19 »
Adrian Saunders used (I don't think he still does) work on potatoes in Northern Ireland - he is a very knowledgeable gentleman

Phil

GardnerJ

• Acre
  • Oh my God I have Allot-Mania!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 11:27:50 »
it is very helpful aqui!
Jem

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 10:54:55 »
It's bitter cold here at the moment. Having a job keeping the temp up in the greenhouse. I knew I should have got some bubble wrap. Hardly any movement at all. Still, there's time.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2005, 11:03:48 »
With reference to seed germination temperatures, i am presuming the 'optimum temperature needs to be maintained 24 hrs for best germination?

Of course acheiving these 'optimums' is extremely difficult for us amateur gardeners, I for one am having terrible trouble regulating the temperature in my greenhouse at the moment. Cold by night (even with the heater on) and if the sun shines during the day the temperature soars (even with an autovent).

What kind of effect will this have on germination? Is it worth sowng under these conditions or is it better to wait a bit until things settle down temeprature wise?

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2005, 11:21:03 »
Seeds will germinate when conditions are right. Fluctuation doesn't help at all. I'v got some trays underway but as in previouse years I'm waiting a few weeks yet. Most of the 'late' sown ones always seem to catch up. Keeping the g'house constant is not an easy thing. Night time is naturally colder, if it was only cooler it would be more like normal, but we try to play at beating nature and get a head start but it's a constant battle against the elements and heating bills!

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2005, 11:22:31 »
I put my seeds on top of my aquariuum,nice bodemheat.Almost all seeds like that warm feet.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2005, 11:57:28 »
Dare I repeat??

Despite the natural urge - unless you're made of money, & have a deadline to meet - just wait till the weather tells you it's time.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2005, 11:59:17 »
John will no doubt contribute on this one but I beleive that seeds germinate reasonably well across a range of temperatures (at least 20 degrees C).

Provided you don't overcook or freeze them they will germinate but the rate will be less than the optimum.

If you wait until temps level off you won't sow anything for a month or so and then may well be behind.

You can play safe by sowing half now and saving half for a while

Phil

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2005, 07:08:32 »
I think that the link showed that. But there's a bottom point for everything.

And what do you do with seedlings in an unheated 'house? Ours is well below freezing at present.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2005, 08:25:23 »
just a thought, guys.
allotmenteers seem to be the kind of people who are very interested in recycling stuff either for the allotment, or as a general rule. trying to live without chemicals - generally doing the right thing by mother nature.
running electric heating in a greenhouse in these conditions, however, doesnt seem very environmentally friendly to me... :-\

like i said, just a thought. no offence meant.
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2005, 12:05:49 »
Glad you said that Tim.  I am begining to feel quite left behind when I read what people have sown already.  I have toms, chillis, aubs, leeks and spring onions underway, that is all. 

Have the heater all set up in the double lagged greenhouse know tho, so maybe I will start to catchup!  ;D

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2005, 13:20:26 »
My main interest in the germination temperatures are so I can judge when to sow things outside. I really am rapidly running out of room again indoors. My propagator only does one temperature - far too hot for most things.

Really I just wanted to know when it'd be safe to sow leeks outside. Obviously not just yet!
gone to pot :D

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2005, 18:42:35 »
Emma - that is all?? I have nothing sown yet. Poor me!

Aqui - so sorry to divert. Leeks? I would not risk them till mid-March - at best. The soil will probably tell you?

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2005, 19:12:25 »
aquilegia :)

Good information saved it as a Reference...thanks :) ;)
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2005, 20:10:58 »
No panic Tim, Out of the trays I've sown there's only leeks and sweetpeas showing, and that's with some heat too. Nah, I'm happy to wait a little while yet. As I said, past experience as proved that most seedling catch up when the weather changes. Worrying about being behind at this time of year is worrying about nowt at all.

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2005, 23:15:54 »
I only have broad beans sown so far as I don't have heat. No rush though it will come soon enough. I learned the hard way last year and lost all me hanging baskets and had to start all over again with bought plants. Ouch!! 8) Rosemary

Not too early,not too deep,not too close

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal