Author Topic: poorly girl  (Read 3381 times)

chicken girl

• Not So New ...
poorly girl
« on: June 09, 2012, 12:17:45 »
My speckledy has not laid for 3 weeks she is all puffed up tail is still up she seems to be eating and drinking I have wormed her, any ideas as to what the problem is would be really good  :-[ :-[

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
Re: poorly girl
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 12:22:00 »
When you say puffed up ?

Is she swollen anywhere? Like in her abdomen at all?

Have you got a good chicken vet close by?

chicken girl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 12:50:49 »
just been to have a good check of her no swollen abdomen ,clean vent, eating ok mm puffed up she is kind of crouched if that makes sense and no chicken vet !

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 13:06:40 »
just been to have a good check of her no swollen abdomen ,clean vent, eating ok mm puffed up she is kind of crouched if that makes sense and no chicken vet !

You may be best posting on practical poultry forum. They have an ask the vet section.

chicken girl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 13:13:41 »
thanks very much for your help will do that  :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 13:22:19 »
Hi there..when you say she is 'puffed up', do you mean that she has puffed up her feathers?
Is her comb still bright red or has the colour changed?
There is many reasons why chickens come off from lay and finding reason for it is like looking a needle in the hay stack.
Have you checked the poultry house for any red mites?...or any other creepy crawlies that may harm/bother your chickens?
Red mites hide amongst the woodworks and other crevices in the housing...where as other 'creepies' hide amongst the feathers.
How old are your girls?..and what are you feeding them with?
Is she pooing ok?...are the droppings 'normal'?

chicken girl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 12:00:13 »
No red mite ,yes her feathersare puffed up comb is still red  I feed her layer pellets pooing is normal and she seems to still be eating ok she is 4

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 12:25:04 »
Well..that's all the 'major' issues sorted then.
Perharps she is just feeling bit 'off' with the wet weather we've had...propably trying to keep warm and cosy. My old girls sometimes do that and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.
As long as she has all the 'normal' fuctions ok..eating, breathing, pooing etc...there is not much we can check with just looking at her and given her bit of 'space' and letting her get on with it..she propably return back to normal in few days.. ;)
After all...being 4 yrs old..she can be classified now as 'mature lady'..and they are bit more 'steady' when 'maturing'.. ;D

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 13:12:56 »
She is not broody is she?

chicken girl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 18:35:57 »
no she is not broody maybe as goodlife has said just getting old bless her thanks for all of your comments good to know there are like minded people on here :)

chicken girl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 17:06:06 »
today 13/6/12 i have noticed my girl has got runny poop any ideas on what to do ??

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 11:39:47 »
Sometimes to much green stuff make for runny ones but i would check also to see if its a sour crop, sometimes lush grass gets stuck and makes a blockage.
Hope she gets well soon
x sunloving

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal