Author Topic: Yellowing leaves - too much wood ash in compost?  (Read 2469 times)

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
Yellowing leaves - too much wood ash in compost?
« on: June 01, 2012, 09:05:14 »
Some of my plants growing in home-made compost have rather yellow leaves (not completely yellow but with a dark green veins).

The plants still look pretty healthy so not too worried but clearly summats up! Lack of a nutrient probably.

Does everything need an Epsom Salt drink?

But what caused it? Any suggestions. I do put wood ash from the woodburner directly onto the heap and I'm wondering if there was a bit too much of this and perhaps it's locked up some nutrients?

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Re: Yellowing leaves - too much wood ash in compost?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 19:22:18 »
Answer fromEhow save me typing
 If your plants are growing slowly, look skinny, and have yellowing leaves and stems all over the plant, this might be because of a lack of nitrogen. If the plant's lower leaves are yellow and you observe this symptom moving up to the middle and then the top leaves of the plant, the problem could be a lack of potassium. If, on the other hand, just the top leaves curl up and turn yellow, your soil could be missing essential amounts of calcium. And finally, if there are yellow spots all over the plant, you probably need more zinc. Three other important soil nutrients are boron, manganese and iron, and a lack of any or all three of these will also stunt your vegetable plants' growth and sometimes make the leaves turn various shades of yellow, brown, or light green.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 21:32:54 »
Give them a foliage feed, it only takes a short time to work, I use phostrogen. If it doesn't work I would dig one up and see what the root situation is.
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 08:46:04 »
These are all good tips. I shall use your advice.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 22:01:22 »
Yes I have a wood burner and have learnt to be frugal. Definitely not on the compost heap as it encourages flowering in everything and also unbalances the nitrogen [how do I know? ::)] I'd give every affected plant some BFB and water it in if the deluge hasn't come your way- then slowly the leaves will start to come right. I sprinkle woodash gently on beds or around fruiting plants of things that love it. Otherwise keep dry and locked away in the shed....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal