Author Topic: Yellowing Leaves on Garlic?  (Read 1357 times)

irridium

• Acre
Yellowing Leaves on Garlic?
« on: May 28, 2012, 23:16:18 »
my garlic on the allium bed is looking quite yellow at the base of the stem. should they be like this at this time of year with the crazy weather we've been getting, or is it where they're at the stage where they're drying off ready for cropping june/july time when the leaves start drying off? i can't remember how they were last year and at what time it was when that happened.. i was being quite complacent with the watering in this dry period last week. i went on thursday (last visit was the 4days previously and they were fine then) and i felt so guilty that maybe it was the dryness that they've suffered with. the other alliums on the same bed are doing well tho'...

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Yellowing Leaves on Garlic?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 10:08:54 »
They do go yellow as they start to dry off. I think they have finished their growth at this stage and the bulbs start forming their skins and drying out. They often get rusty too but I find that has no effect on the finished product.
I can't wait to harvest mine, they seem huge, if the stems are anything to go by. Some of mine were stolen from my plot! So I won't have the full amount, but still, plenty left.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 11:12:55 »
Hi antipodes, :)
Sorry to hear people are stealing stuff. Lets hope it gives them bellyache.
I noticed you mentioned rust among the garlic. Yesterday, I noticed it on mine too, and especially on some leeks I left to go to seed. Does it just pass on? It looks ugly, that's for sure. Is it safe to leave it do you think?
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 13:51:50 »
went again today at the lotti, and found to my horror that there's rust on all the garlic and am beginning to worry about the yield and size of the bulb when we've still got 4 weeks of growth left. is there anything i can do about it? i'm worried it'll affect my onions, leeks (going to seed recently) and shallots.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 15:20:10 »
Rust is fine in that it wont affect the bulb but it is ugly and decreases activity slightly.  I always get rust - everyone does on our site.  I suppose you could spray with a fungicide or copper sulphate but personally I'd leave it.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal