Author Topic: What dialect??  (Read 5689 times)

Pete

• Not So New ...
  • Dragon Ladies
Re: What dialect??
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2005, 20:09:21 »
Wehay Palatic?  just on a Saturday night, but defo not ragy with it ;D ;D , all you geordies should know the meaning of that one  ;). and also nettie, ganning doon the toon, bottle o the dog, champion, arl reet, leggy, on the hoy, divunt de that man etc etc.
Carol how about Berwick or am i miles away bonny lass  ;)

Pete aka the northern nutter

botchituk

• Not So New ...
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2005, 20:34:09 »
Halow, how ye aal dein?
A warm?? welcome from sunny Berwick, Nah Carol's no from Berwick she lives 25ish miles away in a foreign land I.E Scotland, A lovely little village it is too that she bides in.
Anyway some local words for you all
Chavva - Boy
Gadgie - man
Manishee - Woman
Capture - Young Lady
Keer - House
Dubes - Money
Baary - Great
joogal - Dog

Story: Deek at thon capture ower there we the gadgie wi the muckle plaffs and the muckle joogal, Wi the chavva gein the manishe a muckle chowie.

Any Translations?? 

Howay the lads

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2005, 20:41:21 »
OK Botchituk, whare dae ye work in Berwick, a'll be doon there geeing you laldy soon? 

I am in Berwick most Saturday at that muckle supermarket they now caw Morrisons.  I do Live in Berwickshire tho'  think Berwick should join the rest of the Borders.    ;D ;D

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2005, 23:44:22 »
Botchituk, Seeing as I am originally from the complete opposite end of the country this is my guess:-

Look at that young woman over there with the man with the big feet(?) and big dog, with the boy giving the womand a big sweetie (or is it a biscuit?)!

Never heard of plaffs just think it sounds like feet but of course the man could have anything else 'big'  ;)
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

botchituk

• Not So New ...
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2005, 13:39:20 »
Hi Wicker, I'll give you 9 out of 10 for that, not quite a Blue Peter badge for you yet. Just the one word wrong. A Chowie aint a sweetie or a biscuit!!
Howay the lads

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal