Author Topic: A Florence fennel substitute  (Read 1688 times)

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
A Florence fennel substitute
« on: May 22, 2012, 22:10:44 »
I have some fennel plants growing in my path, the bushy herb sort. They look quite sculptural and seed themselves around easily. I like the aniseed flavour but find the leaves a bit stringy. I save the seeds each year as a spice/condiment. They are good in home made bread, spaghetti sauces and soups and curries.
But I've discovered that early in the year the thick stalks aren't fibrous and can be cut and chopped up into salads like an aniseed flavoured celery. It saves buying Florence fennel bulbs from the greengrocers. Certainly they are still tender up to late May because I cut some this afternoon to go into a salad with watercress, sorrel leaves, olives, spring onions, gherkins and tomatoes. A salad with punch.
Later in the year they get stringy.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: A Florence fennel substitute
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 10:01:48 »
I agree - I grew 'Florence Fennel' last year, but never got thick bulbs for whatever reason.  However they overwintered well and there are now several shootscoming up from each of the original plants.  I have been cutting these,  I also left one shoot per plant to grow on.  These shoots are delicious and when they get bigger, I just use the white part.  The ones I have left to grow on actually make bigger 'bulbs' than I had last year.  And the plants still produce new shoots even now bountifully.

I know this isn't how florence fennel is supposed to be - mine acts more like the herb variety - but for me it has been a very useful and winterhardy vegetable and the stalks/bulbs are still soft now.  I mostly steam them, but have also started slicing them finely into salads (was that your recommendation a little while ago? I know I read it here and tried it).  The other day I wrapped a little bundle of white stalks into thin ham slices and gently sauteed these parcels in very little water until soft.  That was very tasty too.

I don't mind that my FF hasn't really worked out as per the pictures on the seed packets.  Using it anyway has been a discovery for us.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 10:07:07 by galina »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal