Author Topic: Seedbeds  (Read 1615 times)

Steve.

• Half Acre
    • The Nook
Seedbeds
« on: May 10, 2012, 10:14:49 »
I'll be making a seed bed at our allotment this summer, ready for use next year.
 Mainly information on seedbeds online seem to be about the preparation of the seedbed itself with a few extra snippets of info thrown in, here and there.

Does anyone have a link in their favourites or know of a site where the subject is covered in depth for both edibles and pretties? Or is there perhaps a good book on the subject, or a book with a chapter covering seedbeds?

Steve...:)
"The Nook"

Photo's copyright ©Steve Randles, however if you want one, please ask.

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
Re: Seedbeds
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 11:10:48 »

There aint a lot more to it than what you have written here.  Firm it down and rake to form a fine tilth.  Job done.

You may be trying to make something more complicated then it really is.  (been there, done that).   ::)     Cheers,       Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 11:22:31 »
 ;D..as Tony said..

I would like to add to that though...it is all down to your ground/growing conditions and trying to make it better so that all those seeds you are planning to sow will germinate in first place.
Raised beds ,,even just slightly raised are ideal as seed beds..they warm up/stay warm and has better drainage..nothing worst than having seeds and seedlings sitting in wet soil.
I don't have much use for 'seedbed' in ground..you always get too many casualties due to that odd slug or bird..or bad weather.. ::)..but when ever I've made one...I use spent compost, loads of grit and sand and trying to get it mixed together with top few inches of soil..watered in allowing the soil settle for few days/week before sowing...and then making a net cover or using coldframe over giving best possible conditions for germination.
Fertilizers are not needed as 'rich' soil does more harm than good, thus using 'spent compost'.
If I were to make seedbed for something shrubby or trees..I would make the mixture more 'wooland like'..using leafmould rather than compost...'horses for courses'  ;)

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 13:06:54 »
We tried a seed bed last year but it was rubbish-too wet, cold and popular with local wildlife.  Instead we use an old bath filled with old compost and a bit of new thrown in.  It works brilliantly.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 13:10:58 »
;D..as Tony said..

I would like to add to that though...it is all down to your ground/growing conditions and trying to make it better so that all those seeds you are planning to sow will germinate in first place.
Raised beds ,,even just slightly raised are ideal as seed beds..they warm up/stay warm and has better drainage..nothing worst than having seeds and seedlings sitting in wet soil.
I don't have much use for 'seedbed' in ground..you always get too many casualties due to that odd slug or bird..or bad weather.. ::)..but when ever I've made one...I use spent compost, loads of grit and sand and trying to get it mixed together with top few inches of soil..watered in allowing the soil settle for few days/week before sowing...and then making a net cover or using coldframe over giving best possible conditions for germination.
Fertilizers are not needed as 'rich' soil does more harm than good, thus using 'spent compost'.
If I were to make seedbed for something shrubby or trees..I would make the mixture more 'woodland like'..using leafmould rather than compost...'horses for courses'  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal