Author Topic: Any one know of cheap but strong black membrane/weed guard?  (Read 3198 times)

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
Hi everyone, I use black weed guard a lot on my allotment to plant squash/strawbs through.
I have used Wilkinsons cheap one for a few years very successfully but last year the quality really went down hill & some of it didnt even survive the summer & what did hasnt survived the winter (the original stuff I used under my strawberries lasted 3 years in comparison & I used to be able to lift it after my squash were harvested & reuse it the following year).
Does anyone know of a cheap but strong one I could use this year?
I have to cut holes in it for the squash plants so it needs to be strong enough to withstand that without ripping to shreads.
I am on a very low income so cant buy expensive stuff for this year (that would probably work out much cheaper in the long run) but I could save for some next year if anyone can let me know a really good type that will last a few years.   
Thanks xjane

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Re: Any one know of cheap but strong black membrane/weed guard?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 15:17:56 »
I had the same problem my usual black weed membrane disintegrated after afew weeks. I was considering the plastic woven kind but found one that is brown and is called premium membrane @£2 a metre. this one is tough!!!

duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 15:42:40 »
Thank you so much Duke for your quick reply. I will search for some of that then. I was so shocked last year when the stuff that is normally great literally disintegrated in weeks. The same happened with the fleece I got from Wilkos last year yet I have some form 4 years ago I got there that is till ok to use if abit ragged looking. I wish companies would increase the price abit rather then reduce the quality alot, sigh!
xJane

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 15:45:45 »
Hi Duke Ive just tried to search for some online but Im not getting very far. Where did you buy yours from? Thanks xjane

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 20:27:01 »
Hi

Unfortunately I got mine from a local independent garden centre Elm Park Garden Centre Tadley Hampshire. It was on a roll and you buy it by the metre. I was going to buy this one from Amazon which looks quite good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0012IWRI2/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B007RWH8DG&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=04P5Y21VN83Z5AVN4HCZ

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal