Author Topic: PARSNIPS  (Read 1240 times)

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
PARSNIPS
« on: April 30, 2012, 14:49:21 »
I did a post last year on parsnips and someone tried this method with great success.
I think when it come to planting the parsnip seed some are making a lot of work for them selves. Setting the seed away in toilet roils etc just creates more work and you are not guaranteed a true parsnip. Plant them direct then you have to water them regularly to keep them moist so the seed will germinate
Here is my method
Make your drill, water it then place your seed along the drill the way you favor IE three seeds then a space or just one continuous row of seed.
Cover with a light dressing of dry compost but do not water then place lengths of wood about 3" wide over the top of the drill put some bricks on top to keep the wood in place then go back to it 20 days later to check the result

When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: PARSNIPS
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 16:43:39 »
I do something similar but with glass... I water the row after sowing and use spring onions as a marker...  :)

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
Re: PARSNIPS
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 17:03:10 »
Looks interesting.  Last year I just sowed direct into the soil, no special treatment, and they all eventually came up and I had a great crop.  This year I was later sowing, and so as well as just sticking them in the ground  I did some in the unheated greenhouse in loo roll tubes.  These have just started to pop up.  I think everything is later appearing this year as it's been so cold this this month.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal