Author Topic: De-blossoming my cherries?  (Read 1537 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
De-blossoming my cherries?
« on: April 19, 2012, 21:58:52 »
I've got as pair of cherry trees that I got as bare-roots Nov 2010, kept in pots in the winter and planted out about a year ago. One is a Morello, one is a Stella. THey're both flowering... not tons but they are flowering.... should I stop them fruiting this year or is it an indication that they're happy to do so adn let them get on with it?

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
Re: De-blossoming my cherries?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 10:49:22 »

I'm in the same position.  As I had no blossom last year, but a few this year, I'm just going to stand back and let the tree get on with it.   :D    Cheers,     Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 11:12:28 »
I find cherries don't set so easily fruit when young...not like apples that are able and willing to try when still almost a whip.
See how it goes..if it should set heavily..you can always thin them out...more likely birds will gobble them even before the fruit is ripe.. ::)
As they've been pot grown before planted into grown..the tree is not quite as 'newly planted' as such.
Yeahh...let it get on.. ;)

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 12:26:50 »
I was in the same position last year, new bare root cherry tree that was flowering, I left it and got 24 cherries. This year it's just finished flowering and it looks like I might get as many as 60 or 70  :)  - I'd just let it get on with it - it's the quality not the quantity!
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 14:22:36 »
I've got two Stella and never de-blossomed - fight with the blackbirds every year over who gets the most cherries  :)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 07:53:30 »
I'm planning on keeping them quite small, the morello against a north-facing fence and the Stella is out in the middle of the garden but clos-ish (3 feet or so ) to the path ... I'll be tying the morello to the fence and I cna put a net over it then held out on strakes , the Stella I was planning on fabricating a ball frame out of bamboo and overing it with green net... should be invisible  at any distance but hopefully will stop the birds getting all the fruit....

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 14:03:19 »
I've had no problems with either of mine setting fruit from the moment they were put in... I've just built a cage to keep the birds off...  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal