Author Topic: Climbing beans  (Read 2057 times)

banksy

• Half Acre
  • Southend-on-Sea, Essex
    • my blog
Climbing beans
« on: April 18, 2012, 17:48:36 »
I have constructed a bean frame in the usual manner using 8ft canes, it's around 9ft long and is in a north-south direction.  I will be growing Runner and climbing French beans this year.

Our winds are predominantly from the west, therefore one side of the frame will be exposed to these winds and the other side slightly more sheltered.

So my question is as follows, which type Runner or French bean would be better suited on the 'windy' side of the frame?

Friends always welcome on the plot, weeds by appointment only.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
Re: Climbing beans
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 19:16:54 »
Runner beans for the windy side as they are tougher.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

banksy

• Half Acre
  • Southend-on-Sea, Essex
    • my blog
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 19:27:18 »
Thanks!  :D

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 20:12:44 »
Perhaps I'm asking the too obvious question, but why couldn't you have built it in a east/west direction?  Certainly here where strong winds can arrive very suddenly, we always erect our bean supports along the direction of the prevailing winds.  Is it too late to change it???!!!

banksy

• Half Acre
  • Southend-on-Sea, Essex
    • my blog
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 20:34:21 »
Two reasons really, the first being that if I built it east to west one side would permanently be in the shade, secondly I don't have enough room now to do it any other way  ::)

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 16:32:25 »
Runner / climber... I'm baffled as to a difference in these bean types. I assumed they are the same thing with different interpretation of the growing action?
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 16:49:27 »

If a climber didn't have a cane, it would be a runner and if a runner was sent up a cane it would be a climber.   ::)

Is your bean construction an inverted 'V' shape?  if so tie the canes together a little lower down as the beans will congregate at the top and the beans will be difficult to find.     

Cheers,     Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 17:00:03 »
Runner beans - Phaseolus coccineus - are normally climbing.  They are normally red flowered but can also be white, pink or bicolour.   There are dwarf non climbing varieties such as Hestia. The skins of the beans are normally slightly rough.  Need bees to polinate.  Beans normally green but I have some seeds of purple ones. ;D   Runners climb up canes.

Climibing french beans -Phaseolus vulgaris - are climbing varieties of the same as dwarf beans also called green beans.  Also known as squeaky beans because they squeak against your teeth when you eat them.   Flowers are normally white, pink or purple. They can be a little more tolerant of hot conditions are are self fertile.  Beans are usually green, yellow, purple or spotty.  French Beans can be flat, round or pencil.

Just to confuse there are also other types of climbing bean.  

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 17:46:22 »
My ballotti beans seemed to get affected the same amount by the wind regardless of which side they are on.

I think I understand why this is, but it is too complicated for my to explain so I won't try, but next time you are out in a westerly wind, go stand close to a hedge, you will find you get just as much shelter on the west side as you do on the east if you stand close enough.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

mentallot

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 14:56:30 »
My ballotti beans seemed to get affected the same amount by the wind regardless of which side they are on.

I think I understand why this is, but it is too complicated for my to explain so I won't try, but next time you are out in a westerly wind, go stand close to a hedge, you will find you get just as much shelter on the west side as you do on the east if you stand close enough.

Turbulence
Or was it flatulence ... ?

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 15:26:45 »
Turbulant flatulance if they were artichokes ;D ;D ;D.

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 20:08:20 »
Don't say that word, I don't know if it has been what I have been eating or the tablets I am taking but I pity any body who is down wind from me.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal