Author Topic: Poorly vine  (Read 1269 times)

elhuerto

• Acre
Poorly vine
« on: April 24, 2012, 11:59:56 »
I transplanted a couple of grape vines 2 years ago, one is just about ok but the other next to it has never really recovered. This year it's showing a couple of buds / small leaves near the base of the plant but the main stem appears dead. Last year it had a few leaves and put on a little growth but didn't look well. Do you think it's best to just give up on it and dig it up or is there anything I can do now or later in the season to try to revive it?

Cheers!
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Poorly vine
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 13:59:37 »
Hmm.. :-\...often after drastic 'treatment' like moving mature plants from one place to other will result them starting to 'sulk'. That can take several years and after that they are ok..sometimes they will never get back to their fomer glory.
The older they are when you transplant..longer they will take to replace all the roots that where keeping all the growth going on and they have to produce more roots for the new growth as well. So yes..it is quite possible 2 yrs is still 'early days'.
There is not much at this stage that you can do other than give them annual dressing of bonemeal..to encourage/aid the formation of the new roots..making sure they don't struggle with lack of moisture would help too.
Application of all round feed like BFB or even bit of chicken pellets won't hurt..perharps your grapes need bit of 'fattening up' to get them kick start. Generally I don't feed grape much..but when they struggle, little pampering don't hurt.. ;)
If they do  some top growth..don't let it 'go' far..but keep it trimmed  quite short for now..they will otherwise waste their energy for all the new growth when they need to grow good, strong root system.
That's about all I can think of at the moment..hmmm...mulching is good too.

elhuerto

• Acre
Re: Poorly vine
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 15:36:55 »
Thanks, a bit of TLC I guess and. I have it well mulched and will give it a bit of feed and hope it's here next year.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal