Author Topic: Advice sought regarding orientation of scaffold sheeting on polytunnel  (Read 3027 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
I'm about to build apolytunnel using Monarflexorsimilar  scaffold sheeting... should I go along the sides or over the top, and how do I do the ends?.. Thanks :D

goodlife

• Hectare
Hmm..how wide is you sheeting?..how are you going to join the edges together?

If it would be me...and using 'standard' scaffold sheeting..I would run it in along the length of the tunnel and use something like extra strong fishing line to join the edges together to make it as 'one' large sheet. I probably would join few length's at the the top together first and then do the sides after the top is in place. The ends I would arrange/tidy up in folds and stable on length of wood and once arranged screwing another piece on top (like sandwich)and tension then created by rolling extra length around the pieces of wood..wood is then nailed/screwed into place (door/window frame?)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 09:31:29 by goodlife »

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
I would make a sheet the right size then throw it over the hoops.  But whether the seams were horizontal or vertical would be a product of whatever made the most efficient use of the sheeting.  So if your sheeting was 3 m wide and you need a 9 m wide sheet then they would end up horizontal.  But if your sheeting was only 2 m wide, they would (probably) end up vertical.  IYSWIM.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
I think with monarflex, there are ready made holes at the edges for you to sew sheets together.  Amazing Rotavator is your man, he built a GH with the stuff and put a picture on here many times  ;D

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
OK, will go with lengthways then (it makes the frame-making easier too) I was planning on sewing up using the fabric-strenthened bits, my old sewing machine should handle it (it's done worse) I'll need six metres per strip, four strips... which should leave me enough material to make the covers for my lighting rig.... hoorah.... will order it ASAP....

goodlife

• Hectare
Chap in our lotty has polytunner covered horticultural shade material which is similar to scaffold material..he has attached his onto frame with tiewraps. But that material is wider than scaffold stuff...and looks like its not properly 'sown' together..just some overlapping.
I've been snooping with binoculars from back bedroom.. ;) ;D

Amazingrotavator(Derby)

• Half Acre
  • My best mate
    • www.mandjderbygardens.co.uk
I stapled mine to the wooden frame on the greenhouse I made. Still standing. I even stapled the scaffold net to the water pipe on the brassica tunnel I made. Good things these 10mm staples.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal