Author Topic: Greenhouse buying help  (Read 2414 times)

michelles

• Not So New ...
Greenhouse buying help
« on: March 30, 2012, 09:51:56 »
My dear OH has given me some money for a greenhouse, so off I set to buy it, took one look at the flimsy sheets of Poly and left it in the shop, so am now looking again.  In the picture it looked brilliant but not in real life, the poly sheets looked more like glass, so flat, in real life it's about as thick as an easter egg plastic cover.  So have any of you got any suggestions for a good place to buy one?

I want either poly or safety glass - we've got a variety of animals so poly would be better, I want it to be 8' x 6' and had been given £250 for it's purchase, I am willing to put more money into the pot but just dont know where to restart my search.

Thank you in advance for your help.

elhuerto

• Acre
Re: Greenhouse buying help
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 10:01:48 »
This is the one we got a couple of years ago http://www.greenhousewarehouse.com/products/8ft-x-6ft-greenhouses/gh-palr-86-ml-8-x-6-polycarbonate-greenhouse-4mm-twinwall.html - bit over budget but been very pleased with it, no breakages, straightforward to erect and has stood up to high winds with no problems.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

michelles

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 13:55:16 »
Thank you that's just the sort of recommendation I wanted, looks good and is a reasonable price.  I find it so hard to judge what they're really like from the picture.

daveylamp993

• Acre
    • theallotmentandgardenscounciluk.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 16:07:01 »
i bought a Gardman greenhouse in polycarbonate from www.ukgreenhousesales.co.uk/Greenhouses and im delighted with it, very similar to the palram greenhouse but much cheaper in green powder coated paint,very easy to erect,very rigid,the greenhouse with base is currently selling at £289.00 with next day delivery or you can get one with a starter kit that includes a double shelfing pack,louvre window,2 rainwater downpipes and a soil thermometer for £354.00 very good value in my opinion. i would not go back to glass again after using this material as my grand children visit more often now. i hope this helps you choose,if you need any more information about this dont hesitate to message me on here,i did buy some extra glazing clips and aluminium bolts and nuts from wilkos just to be sure i had enough,i have used them but probably didnt need to. Good Luck,let me know how you get on.
The BEST Organisation for Allotmenteers is theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk JOIN NOW,Much better and FAR Cheaper than N.S.A.L.G.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 21:41:16 »
YOu might well find that on your budget you can get a S/H greenhouse and reclad it in twinwall... then that way you might well get a decent frame from someone like Robinsons and plenty of vents and shelves etc.... ebay will be your friend... THe bigger ones (up to 10x12) frequently to go for the same money as the smaller ones, but the bigger the GH the easier it is to thermoregulate, and TBF there is no such thing as too big.... and I've got a 20x10 at home..... and I'm building a 20x6 polytunnel on the plot....

michelles

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 08:05:29 »
Thanks for all the help I ordered the gardman one on 24 hour delivery from www.ukgreenhousesales.co.uk only to find they've got no 'glass' in stock and wont arrive until next week, I was so looking forward to spending the weekend erecting it, and am busy next weekend.

I am now planning what to plant etc when it's sorted  :D so a sure I'll soon be asking for more hints and tips.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 08:36:37 »
A mistake we all make (even in that monster I've got) is trying to cram too much ineach plant wants a foot around it to the next plant and about the same from a southward facing piece of glass/plastic.If you like basil it does way better in a greenhouse than it does outside, also you can keep the pest load down with a combination of three things... Yellow sticky traps, ant bait stations and french marigolds. The first might sound indiscriminate but the bad bugs find them way more attractive than good ones do, black ants are devils for farming aphids on things but if you kill the ants then the predators will get to them, adn from what I can see from last year whitefly especially hate marigolds....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal