Author Topic: NOT STARTED YET!!!!!  (Read 7457 times)

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
NOT STARTED YET!!!!!
« on: February 19, 2005, 04:09:55 »
My plot is still very wet & it's been cold up my neck of the woods (north west leicestershire).   I've not managed anything on the plot so far this year except looking and planning.

Will things be ok if I don't start for approx 4 weeks or do I need to start panicking 'cos we're almost at the end of Feb & I've got nothing done?

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
Re: NOT STARTED YET!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 08:57:33 »
No panic at all...

If you look back at similar threads, Tim has said that he never

starts things off too early and they do all catch up as the season gets

underway.

I will start off toms as soon as my OH collects and fits greenhouse glass

that was blown out after strong winds.

Also, if you start things off too early they may be hit by siberian type

weather and without protection, some plants may perish.

Debs :)

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 10:30:00 »
We have not really started either, only just got the pots going. These lucky people who live in mild counties may get away with early beginnings, but in your part of England, like ours the soil does not even begin to think about warming up yet.
There is still time to finish off digging and parts that need it so that the rain can break down the clods, but otherwise if your soil is still wet, keep off it.
Gardening is the great leveller.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 10:38:02 »
As Eric says, some folk are dead lucky - especially those with open air lotties.

This is what I have to put up with on 1/2 our plot on a brilliantly sunny day at 1030.  And it gets worse as the shadow of the house moves around. So no early starts for us!! There is still frost on the ground in the shade.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 10:39:49 by tim »

Slaine

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2005, 10:56:09 »
Carrot-Cruncher i know what you mean i'm probably not too far away from you and my lottie was frozen over this morning.

Will have to pop round later, i'm glad it's just 2 mins away :)

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2005, 11:41:49 »
Not much luck down in <sunny> somerset either. We are having lovely weather during the week when we have no spare time, come Friday, it seems to pour with rain, then the lottie is like a bog again!  We have a long weekend off next week,so hope we can get going then. Today the sun is shining, but its soooo cold.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2005, 12:56:22 »
Nothing much going on outside here in North Wales... far too wet and cold....   Mind you there isn't room to put a pin between trays on the windowsills in the kitchen and diner(south facing) got some tomatoes and summer cabbage on the go, quite a few hardy perennials too, catanache, coreopsis, delphineums, etc.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2005, 13:43:44 »
we only got our plot last weekend, and have been planning all week :)
just gone out in brilliant sunshine to visit a plant nursery and then b&q for some tools - now the sun has gone in and it's bitterly cold outside.
will just do some general tidying up this weekend, rubble and rubbish to collect, some rotten wood to get rid of, and i think i will lay out the beds to my liking, i.e. move the old bits of carpet and wood planks into position. if i am not frozen stiff by then, maybe i'll do some forking over etc. but i am not panicked over anything yet. if i dont get round to planting anything this weekend, i will do it next :)

svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2005, 13:53:51 »
No panic!  :)

I'm not started yet either - I'm with Tim;  the later sowings catch up very quickly on the early ones, and I suspect very often do better than the early ones?  No checks from cold toes?

I'm also lazy - it's so much easier avoiding the extra work invovled in early sowings.

All best - Gavin

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2005, 15:12:15 »
I can't do anything on the lotty as I've hurt my back  :'(  :'(  :'(  I haven't touched the manure which was delivered about two weeks ago and it's still on the haul road.  I hope no-one complains.  I've started sowing seeds in the house hoping I'll be fit enough soon to plant something out.  I think if we get heavy frost or snow then I might stop worrying about doing nothing

My husband actually delivered a second hand shed to the lotty today but it's got no floor or roof.  It's got a catflap though  ;D

I thought while I'm laid up I might be able to sow some calabrese seeds.  Is calabrese easy to grow or would I be as well just to grow sprouting broccoli? 

Yours in pain Wardy
I came, I saw, I composted

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2005, 15:35:55 »
Too cold here in Barnsley cleaned chikens out and thats it

newchangeling

• Quarter Acre
  • No picture, no slogan, no imagination!?
    • Pumpkin Soup
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2005, 16:39:06 »
Yep, freezing here in Brum too - it actually snowed last night, can you believe it?

I have to say, it actually helps me if the weather's too inclement for me to venture out.  Otherwise my excitement gets the better of me and I'm out sowing seed against my better judgment - I just can't help myself!  :-\

Desperate for the warmer weather, longer days and a chance to really get stuck in.
Anyone for Pumpkin Soup?

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2005, 17:06:27 »
I for one wil be in no rush, as it looks like Siberia may hit the

'tropical' north east. As I type it has snowed a couple of times

but not enough to stick to the ground (yet :-[).

Weatherforecast says we are in for snow which will cause severe

disruptions on Monday :-\

The sky is heavy with snow clouds.

Yikes... here comes more of the white stuff now!!

...Must make something warm and hearty...

soup ? casserole?   sponge pud ??   ;D

Debs

newchangeling

• Quarter Acre
  • No picture, no slogan, no imagination!?
    • Pumpkin Soup
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2005, 17:08:00 »
Ooooh!  Sponge pud!

And if you could drop some down here I 'd greatly appreciate it! ;D
Anyone for Pumpkin Soup?

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2005, 18:33:03 »
well ive been busy even if u lot have not ive been over almost every day this week finishing off one of my new beds got it all sorted now planted my elephant garlic  and shallots and onion sets so almost filled one bed went shopping with our lass today i hate shoppping went to aldi and  managed to convince her i need a new mini greenhouse  11.99 then spotted the seeds all seeds are 29 p i got loads of them also then off to neto and  got ten  grow bags at 79 p each and guess wot spotted the seeds all seeds are 19 p a pck so  got loads more so i think ive gotten all of my seeds for this year for less than a tenner so  nice one cant wait to get some more stuff in but as u all are saying we are due for some very cold weather this next week or so
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2005, 18:35:53 »
ooooooooooooo slyfox, you have reminded me to get my grow bags!  Asda tomorrow me thinks.

I have been busy with some things, and slow with others.  Like Gavin, I am now a touch on the lazy side as last year I rushed around sowing early, only to have to do it all again when nothing germinated!  Have nearly done all the clearing and digging on the new plot, and have my onions and shallots in, along with garlics growing, broadbeans in flower, and still veggies left in from last year!  Been sowing indoors recently and have taken over the conservatory a bit.  Must get the greenhouse up and running properly so everything can shift down there.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2005, 19:14:15 »
Like  most everyone,  I am waiting for the weather to warm up.  Was at our allotment this afternoon just to check how things were.  Icy cold and like Debs says occasional showers of snow, but not thick enough to lie. We have planted some seeds which are up in seed trays in the house. Have leeks, some perpetual spinach and the new onions and garlic popping their little shoots up at the lottie, but apart from that  the soil is too wet and sticky to do anything at the moment.

I am on duty at our Allotment Shop tomorrow morning, think I will have to get my thermals on for that. It is very cold here and have already spoiled myself with some left over Christmas pudding and custard,  ;D well I need the extra fat to keep warm (I am telling myself).  Here is one view of my lottie.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Slaine

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2005, 22:39:49 »
I dont even need to get cold to get my growbags & compost now!

The milkman left a handy leaflet with me milk this mornin, it seems as if the following company have teamed up with express dairies to get their products delivered.

http://www.durstongardenproducts.co.uk/products.htm

Here are a few prices the growbags are £1.69, 40L garden Peat is £1.69, 40L peat free compost is £4.69 & multipurpose compost is £3.59.

I know you can get cheaper but delivered to your door is class  ;D

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2005, 12:56:38 »
No work on the lottie today because it has come, like they have forcast.  Lottie deep in snow.  This was taken this morning.   :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2005, 13:06:39 »
Brrrrr! giving me the shivers :o the sun is shining here in sunny Brum with a little cloud and 5.2°C chilly but nice and will pop up the lottie after dinner ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal