Author Topic: Swallows  (Read 1851 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Swallows
« on: March 13, 2012, 16:57:16 »
I saw the first swallow today! There is a big manor house next to my office and they make nests in the roof and walls of it, so there are always loads of them around. There were a couple flitting round the roof of our office and flying above the garden next door.
The French have a saying, "One swallow does not make the spring", but it's pretty springlike here today, about 17 or 18 deg, the cherry and other trees blossoms starting to peek out, the forsythia starting to burst into yellow and daisies are popping up on the grass.
Beautiful.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

pumkinlover

Re: Swallows
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 17:45:25 »
I wonder if they will stay with you or just have a look round and come up to us.
Here birdie.... come up to Derbyshire!!

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 19:42:46 »
Looking forward to their return.  Their nests are waiting for them, pick one of them.  Spring/summer begins with their arrival.  They are my favourite bird and I am looking forward to their return.

:) :)

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 07:29:04 »
I saw a couple of swallows this morning - really feels like Spring here too with all the almond trees out in full blossom.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 07:38:41 »
"One swallow does not make the spring",
Here it's doesn't make a Summer...  :-X

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 13:34:59 »
Seen and heard skylarks on our cycle ride today  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal