Author Topic: Waited for 8 1/2 years and......  (Read 3518 times)

gerbera

• Half Acre
Re: Waited for 8 1/2 years and......
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 19:57:53 »
Digging the mint out on day 1 was a bugger (thanks to my OH for helping with that!) Roots everywhere and potentially 1/4 plot of the bloody stuff come summer. We worked hard to get all the roots out and hopefully THAT won't be haunting us later. Fingers crossed!

As for the rest of the plot, as it had been quite carefully tended until recently, there seemed to be far fewer roots than expected. I've a keen eye for white roots and haven't spotted too many. Will keep my eyes peeled as the next few weeks progress.

Another couple of hours there and the compost bins are starting to be sorted. Last occupants left LOADS of compost bins, but hadn't managed them, just bunged more on each as the matter below composted. Have sorted the plastic bins and have started on the wooden ones. Once I'd lifted off the top layers of each, there was lots of lovely compost beneath. Just need to sort the last 2 big wooden ones and then I'll be set to use them in rotation and shift from one wooden bin to the next. The plastic ones are already becoming redundant, 2 down already (one of which was one of those green cone ones, being used allllll wrong!).

My non-gardening OH is developing a love of raking too. His OCD is making for a very tidy plot. I'm now wondering if he'll fall in love with the hoe too  ;)

Onion sets in modules and tatties chitting. Seeds in trays and propagator heated. Woo-hoo.....I'm off!

willsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 22:10:52 »
Well done and happy growing,the plot looks great. How large is it?

gerbera

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 20:49:56 »
It's 140sqm....slightly over a half-plot. It looks huge compared to the long, thin half-plots, but I keep reassuring myself that it's just a matter of perspective!

I've been aching to get back there all week, especially with the sunny afternoons we've had....but being a teacher, parents evenings have got in the way and now rain is forecast for the weekend  :'(

Hopefully Mother Nature will grant me a little 'playtime' and then will water in my first sowings. Fingers crossed!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal