The Show > Pumpkin 'tastic

Musquee De Provence seed

(1/2) > >>

elsie:
I'm about to cut open my first one from last years harvest. It's the first time I've ever grown it and I am super excited to see if it lives up to the hype! Anyway, it's just occured to me that I might be able to save the seed from it, as the only other Moschata that I grew were Butternut Squash, and they flowered very late in the season, well past when these were pollinated. I grew quite a few other squash, but am I right in thinking that the different families won't cross?
Oh, and I'm thinking of roasting it in chunks, is that the best way to try it out?  :)

Jeannine:
Elsie, yes you are right, squash do not cross outside of theor own families..( there are some lab crosses but I am talking about generally)

Save your seeds, I would mark the packet to reflect the fact that butternut was there but you don't think at the same time and see what you get, chances are they will be good..if not.............

You may get a highly ridged butternut...wow :o and if you do I want some  ..

You will be just fine

XX Jeannine

elsie:
Thanks Jeannine, quite fancy the sound of a ridged butternut myself now  ::) never mind  :)

no-lottie:
I was recently sent a few seeds for these Pumpkins because they made fantastic soup, but was told that when the pumpkin was roasted/baked it went to mush. Not sure if I'll bother growing them after hearing that.

artichoke:
I grew some Musquee De Provence some years ago from seed bought in France and was rather disappointed. A beautiful and impressive fruit, but fairly tasteless in my experience. I may not have cooked it very well - I am better at cooking winter squashes now.

One reason I bought the seed was that at a restaurant meal in Provence we were served roasted wedges of it, soft, sweet and delicious - but I never managed to achieve this effect myself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version