Author Topic: Perennial vegetable beds/dig as you need  (Read 1477 times)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
Perennial vegetable beds/dig as you need
« on: February 26, 2012, 20:03:35 »
Last year there was a very interesting discussion on here about growing perennial veg. It made me think about how we don't always need to rip everything out and start afresh each year.

On the same lines, I've been trying keeping a few veg as ongoing sources of food, leaving them in the ground, and then collecting what I need each week, rather than harvesting the whole lot and trying to store them. It's been a great success for me this year, so I will definitely do it again next.

There are veg we always do that with of course like kale and leeks and so on. But that thread made me realise there are more long-standing veg like Jerusalem artichokes and salsify and I even left my potatoes in and have been digging them up a couple of weeks' worth at a time. They store beautifully in the ground, whereas they go shrivelled and start sprouting indoors.

I obviously won't leave them in for a second year, because of blight. But anyway, it's been a real change for me - more food than last year, for less effort, and I would never have had the idea if it hadn't been for this forum!  :)

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
Re: Perennial vegetable beds/dig as you need
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 20:33:33 »
How did you get on with leaving your spuds in.  Did you have slug problems?  BTW how did the Good King Henry go?

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 21:15:54 »
some good food for thought there pigeonseed. couldn't do the potato thing though as need to get all the spuds out and the bed prepared for whatever is going in in the following year
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 21:54:32 »
No problems with slugs with potatoes. I found they kept very well, although they are pink fir apple, which are pretty indestructable - maybe some potato varieties wouldn't do as well. Although you know when you dig up volunteers they always look healthy enough, don't they!

The GKH is slowly establishing, and is still small - it's died back now. I am hoping to be able to harvest some this coming summer. Yes - I forgot, another perennial!

elvis2003 - it depends on your rotation, doesn't it? If garlic or shallots were to follow spuds, then that would be no good, you'd need them out. That's true.  :-\ But I suppose I could try and just plan it so that spuds can always stay till late winter... I think they'll need to come out before they get tempted to sprout  :o So it's winter-only storage. 

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 22:04:28 »
Sorry pigeon,I meant I like to have clear beds over winter,all ready for spring so Im one step ahead of my game..and get whatever bed it is filled with homemade compost
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

sticks

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 07:45:36 »
I had a few too many seed spuds (Maris Piper) for the allotment last year and decided to stick the leftovers in our garden. There must have been a few plants that we missed when digging them up where other garden plants had taken over, as I was digging the garden over this weekend I came across nearly 2kg of spuds all in excellent condition.

Unless, like you, I need the room for another crop I'll think about leaving the spuds in the ground until I need them this year.

Ophi

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 06:37:25 »
People clamp potatoes for storage so I expect the mild winter has clamped them in situ.  Would a ground frost make digging them from the ground more difficult?  It has been noticable here that we have not had a hard freeze this year.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 20:40:45 »
The ground froze here for about a week, and it was very cold indeed. But the potatoes were unharmed afterwards, I didn't try to dig them up during the freeze.

Yes I agree - building a clamp for them is trying to mimic the conditions of the soil, it is basically the same storage system. But i suppose for me it happened to be more convenient to not dig them up.

Where are you, Ophi?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal