Author Topic: What cannot be put on the heap?  (Read 8618 times)

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
Re: What cannot be put on the heap?
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2005, 21:48:59 »
A couple of thoughts unsaid so far?

I don't add any
  • brassica roots (leaves and chopped stalks are fine, but not the roots, to control/prevent club-root)
  • potatoes, their foliage and haulms
  • and, if you've white rot, any onion family stuff?  Guessing this one.
All best - Gavin

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2005, 23:36:31 »
Hdra's book seem to think that blighted potato foliage/haulms are ok, but not the tubers. However, in the compost displays at Ryton, there were potatoes growing...
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Grumpy Git

• Not So New ...
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2005, 13:21:28 »
What about cooked veg? You know, the stuff that kids leave as it's yuk !!!
Surely I can chuck that on too.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2005, 14:14:39 »
I do Grumpy, along with the fluff from my (new  ;D) tumble dryer.  I bung almost anything on, I do avoid meat for obvious reasons, but you know, I already have meeces living in the heap and they are there for the veggies and the warmth, I am sure if ratty and chums were hungry and cold, a veggie filled compost heap would seem like paradise!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2005, 14:30:50 »
Re tumble drier fluff.  I put it out for the birds to collect for nesting.  I pop it into hollow bits in trees and things so it doesn't get wet.  Aren't I considerate  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2005, 15:44:53 »
You are wardy!  Very good idea!

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2005, 09:00:17 »
I would like to know why some advice about compost heaps say you should not put lawn cuttings on after using fertilizer and weed killer on the lawn.  Other advice says it is O.K. if you leave it more than 6 months.  Any ideas or info. please.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2005, 12:01:01 »
Do you want weedkiller in your compost heap? Perhaps there would be traces on the lawn clippings... Am happy to have daisies in my lawn (and they are in flower now :) )
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2005, 12:47:09 »
I like daisies in my lawn and snowdrops and daffs, oh and crocus

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2005, 13:00:12 »
My heap is mostly dried out long grassy weeds, from when the plot was strimmed when I took it over. I have added some veg scraps from home, it is pretty low in green stuff. Have also put some paper, newspaper and cardboard on it. I know it's winter, but it's still pretty slow I think.

Last sunday, while I had some helpers, we picked a small shopping bag full of nettles to chuck on top, in the hope that it gets the heap going :) Have also put my name on a pile of grass clippings at my In-laws house, will get them down to the plot this weekend I hope.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2005, 19:32:33 »
When can I shift my heap ?  I also have mices and don't want to be responsible for evicting them and making their babies homeless.  (despite the fact that they have decimated my seedlings in the past)
Get with the beat Baggy

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2005, 12:00:19 »
If you're going to wait for the furry creatures to move from their nice warm dry bed then you'll have to wait a long long time!!!

Be hard hearted and do it now!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2005, 17:00:38 »
I got a great big new compost bin from the council (£15) and when I'd got a big bloke to put it together I fiiled it with manure.  I watched an allotment prog the other day and there were rotting manure down in small plastic bins and then making growbags and potting compost.  So I thought I'd give it a go as I have masses of it.  Hope it works

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2005, 20:54:23 »
 ;D Snap  ;D I got one too! dunno how they work ::) do you have to stir them up every so often ??? Mine looks like a "Darlek" (remember them Dr Who) with a lift off door at the base :P ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2005, 21:05:08 »
Roy   The dalek like small ones heat up very fast in summer and you'll soon have some lovely compost.  I stir mine regularly (well, I tell a lie) not very often  ;D   I've got quite a few of them now at various stages of development.  Last year we had our lotty open day in early May and one of the allotment chaps had it filled up ready and he put quite a lot of grass clippings in it and it heated up like mad (even in May) and by open day it was steaming and he made a hollow in the top and invited folks to put their hand in to feel how hot it was.  Folks were queuing up.  Sad innit  ;D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2005, 21:15:03 »
Last year we had our lotty open day in early May and one of the allotment chaps had it filled up ready and he put quite a lot of grass clippings in it and it heated up like mad (even in May) and by open day it was steaming and he made a hollow in the top and invited folks to put their hand in to feel how hot it was.  Folks were queuing up.  Sad innit  ;D

;D ;D ;D Thanks Wardy Tee hee I have this vision that reminded me of a vetenary sugeon aiding the birth of a calf :o ;D ;D ;D lol

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2005, 09:01:32 »
The best way to "stir"(except for the effort involved) is to lift off the Dalek and refill it from the contents, mixing them as you go, this introduces lots of air which is required during the hot phase, You can, to good effect repeat this as oftena s once a day. Once the hot phase is finished, leave it for the worms to complete the transformation

Phil

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2005, 12:40:31 »
If and when I'm feeling energetic I fork it out into the wheelbarrow, mix it up and chuck it back in.   :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal