Author Topic: What cannot be put on the heap?  (Read 8616 times)

NattyEm

• Acre
    • Em and Lous Lottie
Re: What cannot be put on the heap?
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2005, 13:15:36 »
OK, so think some of the pile will just cover, rest of the pile (we have A LOT) will cover with manure now, then plastic, then plant pumpkins through the plastic.

Its basically all the clearing from out plot, I reckon it's 80% couch covered (eek) So we have heaps of rhizomes, leaves and soil.Thanks!

And I agree goggle isn't as much fun :)  But also agree broad questions are difficult to answer without typing an essay.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2005, 18:37:39 »
One of the many books I have said that you can put vegetable oils (deep frying) in the compost. Then, there are erm.. other sorts of compost that I don't fancy putting on the edible produce beds but the Centre for Alternative Technology put on their flower beds.

I did find a website that had something good to say about couch grass - rhizome tea or something like that for fungal diseases....
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Grumpy Git

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2005, 19:46:53 »
s the reason cooked food can't go on just because of rats ?

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2005, 16:05:16 »
question regarding seeds:
have been having quite a few squashes over the last couple of weeks. and put everything on  the compost heap (which is cold). will the seeds rot, or sprout? or will they sprout then die off when realising there is no light? also, other seeds (peppers, fruit etc)
i am using one of those bottomless 'bins'  - black with a concealed air vent in the lid.

thanks
svea
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 16:06:49 by Svea »
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2005, 16:36:01 »
It's too cold for squashes to germinate at the moment so they will rot

Phil

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2005, 16:48:55 »
But if like me you will still be working your way through your squashes as spring presses on,  I reakon they will sprout.  I have had stray pumpkin plants grow in my compost heap in my garden but usually that is late summer when I have started using the fresh squash, so of course, they don't come to anything.

diver

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2005, 19:40:06 »
I have just inherited a second lottie which is full of couch grass....I am busy digging it up.....can I cover it in ordinary grass clippings (I have a friend who has a seemingly endless supply) and then cover it with plastic, or I have lots of spent hpos ,will they do?

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2005, 10:36:16 »
I've had several squshes sprout in my compost heap and some in vegetable beds after spreading the compost. They germinate when it's warm enough for them. Ones in the compost heap were very pale and leggy.

I've also had a few tomato plants germinate in my flower beds!
gone to pot :D

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2005, 12:14:01 »
Tomatoes in flowerbeds - tomatoes have pretty yellow flowers. How about lettuce in the lawn (this was 15 years ago, but we didn't let them grow to full size, perhaps i was too busy playing badminton with my brother and the goldfish (don't ask!!!))

spent hops - oooo now I think there is something about that in a number of organic gardening books as a fertiliser...

Citrus peel is ok on the compost heap, but not too much.

Pauline Pears compost book (HDRA thingy) says you can compost farmyard manure, stable manure and bedding, pet manure and bedding, coffee grounds, veg peelins and kitchen scraps (including food leftovers - best to avoid meat and fish as can attract undesirables), fruit skins, dead flowers, citrus peel, veg scraps and crop residues, spent tea bags (I sometimes use leaf tea!), nettles, grass mowings, weeds, torn paper and cardboard, conifer clippings, wood ash, natural fibre fabrics, decidious hedge clippings, eggshells. Use only manures from vegetarian pets, such as rabbits and guinea pigs. Regarding urine (wonderful source of nitrogen and potassium)- too much on the compost heap can raise salt levels and inhibit worms.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2005, 12:42:01 »
Multiveg ;)

THanks More information
for my Computer Gardening Diary 8)
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2005, 12:51:29 »
The HDRA has a "How to compost" page at http://www.hdra.org.uk/organicgardening/compost_pf.htm with all the items that MV listed plus more and information on  on building hot or cool heaps, hints and tips and frequently asked questions

Phil

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2005, 12:55:09 »
A while back I shoved 2 large bags of pigeon poo on the heap. I was worried it might go rancid - so have been mixing it regularly with kitchen waste.
But it has started to smell of ammonia. Would mixing in straw help?
Thanks,
Sarah.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2005, 13:05:09 »
Pigeon (and all bird) muck is a very good accelerator, being a concentrated source of nitrogen - which when too concentrated escapes as ammonia.

Mix the droppings in well with the other compost ingredients, cover to keep in the heat and keep out the wet, and it should result in rapid composting (even at this time of year)

If it's still smelling of ammonia then add something with a high carbon content such as copped straw (which will need wetting) or torn up cardboard or the remnants of the herbaceous plant foliage and mix well

Phil

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2005, 21:37:40 »
I have an unlimited supply of pigeon manure but it has lots of seeds in it. How can I deal with this as I believe a certain illegal substance can be lurking in there, and I don't want kicking of my plot for growing pot?
Rosemary ;)

johcharly

• Half Acre
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2005, 21:53:16 »
By illegal substances I take it you mean hemp? If so it is not used so much in the feeding of pigeons  as it tends to send them a bit wappy in my experience. Also they cannot fly in straight lines!! ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2005, 08:37:01 »
Hemp is put in cockatiel food which is why mine used to hang upside down whistling "down the dustpipe" (Status Quo) ;D ;D

I came, I saw, I composted

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2005, 08:44:56 »
What is wrong with this website when a girl can't type cockatiel?   It comes up as thingytiel. 

It doesn't exactly scan now does it?  Tt.  I'll have another go. .......

c o c k a t i e l.   Let's see if this works ... ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2005, 08:45:55 »
ha ha.  Yes it did.  I typed the offending word with spaces in between to kid the offending words checker thingy ;D

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2005, 09:53:41 »
I can't believe any seed would survive the rancid conditions of my compost heap at the moment. Thanks for the advice about the heap - I'll definitely mix in some wet straw  and cover it - hope that solves it.

sb

diver

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2005, 20:46:58 »
Imix my pigeon poo with scrunched up newspaper and leaves and it seems to work well.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal