Author Topic: Waiting for purple sprouting broccoli  (Read 7632 times)

sticks

• Quarter Acre
Waiting for purple sprouting broccoli
« on: February 16, 2012, 08:03:26 »
When should I expect to see some heads on my PSB?

The variety is T&M 'Early Purple Sprouting' and I was expecting to have seen at least a few heads starting to form by now. The plants are pretty big with plenty of foliage on them and are netted over to protect from the pigeons. There are new leaves forming regularly at the top of the plant and I keep getting quite excited that these are going to reveal some broccoli but they never do  ???

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: Waiting for purple sprouting broccoli
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 08:06:41 »
We saw a few tiny purple shoots on their way yesterday. Every year I wish that I had put more in. Our new plot is quite sheltered so next year we will grow more. There is nowt like the first picking of PSB
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 08:29:37 »
Code: [Select]
When should I expect to see some heads on my PSB? Soon!.. ;D We need little bit of warmer weather and they will romp away..

Stevens706

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 08:38:20 »
Mine have had small tight heads for a while but they are just sitting there at the moment waiting to sprout.

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 13:49:34 »
Well we had 4 plants desimated by pigeons. Had netted but it wasnt high enough.  Managed to put netting up higher and rest of plants should be ok. They very big but nothing on them yet!

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 13:58:58 »
Hi Sticks,
I also have T&M Early Sprouting. Sown 19.3, pricked out 15.4 and planted out 4.5
Some very tight buds starting to show, but I think they're a good 3 weeks away yet.

Let's have a race!!
Post when you harvest?!!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

sticks

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 14:36:25 »
My packet says harvest December to March so I guess I was expecting some by now. I have 16 plants (just because I had the room last year) so I guess I'll have PSB coming out my ears in a few weeks time!

Pescador, the race is on!

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 15:56:12 »
Note to self: Buy polythene tunnel, heater and lighting set-up.

Just checked my notes from last year and I didn't start harvesting till 1st April!!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 16:40:21 »
Code: [Select]
Just checked my notes from last year and I didn't start harvesting till 1st April!!Ah..but everything was late last year for winter starting so early and being so cold.
This year is different story, so I suspect you will be croppin much earlier.. ;)

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 17:02:38 »
I've had 2 meals off of mine & was thinking that was it as nothing much is happening, so perhaps I am being too keen as this is my first year for them & I can't remember when my husband used to bring it in.

Hazelb

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 15:53:36 »
glad I read this thread..I was starting to think my purple sprouting was beyond hope and was going to dig them up.

I'll wait a bit longer  ;D

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 16:30:47 »
We've been eating ours since early December (SW France though) and it has looked incredibly healthy until our very cold weather in February when it was below -10 several nights in a row.  Daytime temps are usually above freezing, but the purple shoots didn't like it not surprisingly and it has suffered every since.  I'm hoping we will have some to eat again in a week or two though, fingers crossed.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 16:35:46 »
I've been eating PSB since before Christmas still going strong but the cold snap recently caused quite a bit of damage but they are recovering. I don't know what variety they are, i bought them as plants just labelled PSB but I think their days are numbered I've had quite a lot off them they must be an earlier/perhaps later variety.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 18:32:18 »
Ours are late this year, too, in spite of the mild weather in late Feb.  Still looks like another week or so.

connectedcats

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 18:56:26 »
I didn't get any in for this year, but my black kale has been throwing flower shoots. I'm picking the plants over quite regularly, they are very tender and tasty, and taking the tip shoots out means more break from lower down.

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 20:18:50 »
I grow a very early variety called Rudolph which is ready in time for Christmas. Its just about coming to an end now but I really like it and switched to it about 3 years ago. I grow a white sprouting broccoli for later on, and eat kale in between. The good thing with the early varieties is that they hang on much longer and don't come all at once.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 20:51:31 »
My PSB is definitely a late strain but out of 5 good-size plants 2 are now producing their first heads so I would expect a meal by the end of next week then it'll go on until I'm sick of it and glad the asparagus is on its way.. ;D ;D
I've had mine covered with mesh since I planted them out last Oct. otherwise they'd be pigeon food by now.. ;)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 17:38:05 »
Had plenty of white but no purple yet!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

LesH

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 17:54:59 »
 I picked enough yesterday for three of us to have a meal, this was the first picking of the season and only involved three plants.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 18:05:40 »
Should get my first pick this weekend,but not expecting a bumper harvest as my plants are scrawny,pathetic specimens.  Last year was not my finest but I`m much more optimistic this year :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal