Author Topic: DON'T FORGET  (Read 2427 times)

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
DON'T FORGET
« on: February 16, 2005, 15:49:35 »
Hiya..Don't forget all you newbies to greenhouse work and seed sowing,get yourself some "Cheshunt"compound,it saves a lorra heartaches ;)....Alan
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

Derek

• Acre
Re: DON'T FORGET
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 16:58:45 »
OK Alan

You've dangled the carrot (pardon the pun  ;) ) you had better enlighten an ignorant soul with a greenhouse....ME!

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 17:37:19 »
Hi Derek....It protects seedlings from the dreaded damping off problem..nothing worse than having a whole tray of precious seedlings flop over and die .I mix some up in hand sprayer and spray the surface of the compost prior to sowing,hope this helps....Alan

p.s most decent g/centers sell it
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 17:39:17 by ALANG »
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

summergirl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 18:06:28 »
Another question on the seeds front.
I have grown various things (mainly flowers) from seed over the years, but do tend to have the problem that they're always a bit leggy. 
Why is this?  Is it due to not pricking out thoroughly?

Thanks

PS Started digging the lottie this week - it's enormous! (Only really noticed once we started digging).  fells good to get going though.

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 18:40:35 »
It is a combination of too much heat and/or too little light. If you cannot move the seedlings to a lighter situation turning down the heat slightly will make them stockier.
There are some cultural practices that will reduce damping off so that Cheshunt compound is unnecessary. Ensure good ventilation (or air flow at night from a heater), water only when necessary and early in the day so that the soil surface dries out by nightfall (covering seeds with fine grade vermiculite rather than soil is a great help with that) and making sure that seeds are sown thinly to begin with. With reference to the latter the use of modules/cells (as opposed to old fashioned seed trays) will also contribute to avoiding seedlings loss. As Cheshunt compound is unobtainable over here these practices have had to work for me as I don't use even harsher products.

Bun

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 09:51:02 »
Hay Big Al! Is that you?  ::)

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005, 12:50:34 »
Hi John...whilst I fully agree with and support good plantsmanship rather than using chemical control, I feel that for beginners just starting out on the steep learning slope of greenhouse gardening need someone to point them in the direction of these remedies as all too often it is reported on these boards of disasters with beginners' newly emerged seedlings falling over and they not having a clue what caused it!.
I must admit although having had many years of greenhouse gardening I still use Cheshunt compound,mainly because I am severely disabled and am unable to monitor my greenhouse to fine degrees,I have found it to be an inexpensive and successful remedy to "damping off" problems.best wishes....Alan
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2005, 12:52:22 »
Hiya Bun.....yes it is me...Big-Al ;D
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

loz

• Half Acre
  • See my stuff on www.arthursplacecattery.co.uk
    • Arthur's Place Cattery
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 19:00:39 »
Cheshunt works for me , as will bordeaux mixture for larger plants (I have to admit that much as I would love to garden organically there is no chance owing to the proximity of local farmland, which is sprayed to within an inch of it's life). I find dithane good for other fungal infections.

Basically they contain a chemical which kills the fungus responsible for damping off.

Loz
Horses, ragdolls, bracco italiano, Polands,Silkies, and a garden - when do I have time to eat? - www.arthursplacecattery.co.uk

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2005, 16:48:33 »
Alan, I completely agree and I wasn't attempting to usurp your post but just provide more information for the large number of beginners who are appearing here. The point you make about constant surveillance isĀ  important and one I should have included too.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal