Author Topic: Saskatoons  (Read 9264 times)

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
Re: Saskatoons
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 22:44:51 »
The edible honeysuckle/lonicera is certainly closer to a blueberry than the saskatoon is - but the best variant for both flavour and yield is the L.caerulia kamchatka subspecies - which is much more dwarf than the 'normal' one - mine haven't topped 45cm in about 8 years.

Neither are as productive as blueberries per sq metre but they are both worth growing if you have the space.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Saskatoons
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 23:55:15 »
I have a couple of catalogues en route from farms that sell the plants, they may have seeds and apparently they grow well from them. If so I will see if I can get some over to you. They do grew wils in Bc I just am not sure where to find them..will ask the local foraging group.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal