Author Topic: Can i chitt potatoes ok in greenhouse?  (Read 11346 times)

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
Can i chitt potatoes ok in greenhouse?
« on: January 21, 2012, 09:27:18 »
I am traying up my spuds today,have a decent greenhouse , can i put them on tables in there?

Last time i had them in the outhouse(where the chickens live),but not fully light

connectedcats

• Not So New ...
Re: Can i chitt potatoes ok in greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 09:51:30 »
I always chit my potatoes in the greenhouse, but I do move the trays inside if there is a frost forecast as it is unheated. Fleece should keep a light frost away, but I don't usually trust to luck.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 21:12:06 »
Watch the weather forecast. Mine are in an unheated conservatory but that's much warmer than a greenhouse. Even then I cover them with bubblewrap at night if frost is around.

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 08:40:57 »
It does work, but the other problem with a greenhouse is that on a sunny day, even in winter, the temperature can rocket, and the relative humidity drop. A steadier temperature and humidity is closer to what the potato would experience naturally overwintering in frost-free soil.
I chit under a window in an unheated room in the house.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 08:47:39 »
Ditto as for Ian - unheated, or cool light room is place for my spuds.

You get a more constant temperature if chitted that way.

Wouldn't put in my greenhouse as open to winds, cold and sometimes sunny warm days

Debs

connectedcats

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 11:04:05 »
I agree an unheated room is often recomended, and I can see it is probably the best option, but as I haven't any spare rooms, the greenhouse is my only choice. My potatoes did well last year, the chits were short and a good colour, and I got good yields.

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 07:03:37 »
Thanks everyone !

The spuds are now on tables and bales in the greenhouse covered in a layer of fleece!!

I've noticed on the weather forecast that its going to b 0 degrees tonight so will get a frost, the greenhouse tends to stay frost free, however i am going to cover the boxes in old pillows during the night this week.  That should keep them safe shouldn't it?

We do have a paraffin heater but I don't think they would mix well with bales of straw and cardboard......

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 07:16:51 »
Should be ok as long as we do not have a winter like last year.............

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 19:39:01 »
Also watch out for mice and voles as they love potatoes and they can quite easily climb up onto a bench.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

TheEssexYorkshireman

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 13:08:43 »
I chit mine in the greenhouse each year and have never had any frost problems. When my wife starts to nag me about the amount of space I'm taking up (it's really her greenhouse) I move them to one of those 3 shelf plastic jobs and cover them with fleece. They chit away til needed.

TEYman

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 07:09:47 »
What are people doing with their chitting potatoes when this really cold weather hits us this week?,

Are you leaving them in the greenhouse?, i might bring the lower box's in and have got the rest covered at night time with old pillows!, and fleece.  Will that be enough even if it goes -3 etc?

Or am i worrying to much....

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 08:48:33 »
I'm just leaving mine where they are, might bung a bit of fleece over them later but I admit to being a bit relaxed about it.... :)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

connectedcats

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 12:45:20 »
Mine were fine last frosts, but these sound as if they will be harder, so I'm going to bring them in. I don't want to risk losing them now, it won't take that long to ferry them in. They can stay on the dining table until the weekend if necessary, my back garden is north east facing, and stays frozen for ages. It does mean the greenhouse temperatures don't fluctuate that much, but they stay low  :(

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 12:49:23 »
ours chit each year in the bedroom,on top of a large chest of drawers,the only available space...so romantic!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 13:16:21 »
Mine were fine last frosts, but these sound as if they will be harder, so I'm going to bring them in. I don't want to risk losing them now, it won't take that long to ferry them in. They can stay on the dining table until the weekend if necessary, my back garden is north east facing, and stays frozen for ages. It does mean the greenhouse temperatures don't fluctuate that much, but they stay low  :(

Think ill do the same now! Turn heating off in one bedroom and leave them there until the cold snap passes

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 13:23:34 »
Our box room is the only spare room and has a window which is South East facing.. so just gets a bit of sunlight light in the mornings. Would this be ok to chit in?
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 13:34:36 »
Better early morning... when things are cool, than late afternoon...   :)

Monkey Brains

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 17:38:52 »
I chit mine in the house. I'm too wussy & pathetic to turn any of the radiators off mid-winter, so I can't chit them on the windowsill (which all have radiators directly below) but I do try to keep them nearish a window (and take the net curtains down to maximise what light there is coming into the room).

Works for me  ;)

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 21:03:17 »
Yep mine are inside in a pretty cool spot. I've even taken the new ones off the windowsill for the next few nights and put them on the inside of the curtains. In the conservatory I've 22 potted in soil and coming through.
In the house I've true potato seedlings on the windowsill during the day and on the dining room table after dark with a colour LED light [Lidl] which they have to share with the onion seedlings.. :) :) All cosy and right

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal