Author Topic: DOES ANYONE HAVE  (Read 9375 times)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
DOES ANYONE HAVE
« on: January 18, 2012, 19:22:28 »
  Have one of those Halogen cookers?............. we are thinking of buying one but i need to
 know are they as good as they look when they are demonstrating them on the shopping channel, such as cooking food as nice as it looks on TV..............
I would be very grateful for any info,  positive / negative before we spend out.  Thank you
 Rosebud ;D

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
Re: DOES ANYONE HAVE
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 19:54:04 »
yes i have one,had it for a year now, and no probs , easy to clean-and saves on electricty, great for meat and chicken  roasted veg ect.
i am very happy with it
regards  jim

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 19:59:36 »
We bought one to use in the caravan and have used it more at home. It cooks chops, jacket spuds, chicken, toast. I've even baked a cake in it. We have the one with the extra piece on it, bit of extra space. I love it, makes chips with hardly any oil and roast potatoes are lovely and crispy  :)

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 20:06:06 »
we have one and it's fab.
Cooks lovely roast chicken and roasties.
It's easy to clean and cooks really quickly.
One thing I would say is try and get one with a hinged lid,many of the models have lift off lids and given that the heat element is in the lid It must be a problem finding somewhere to put it while you turn the food.We also have an extender ring which is a must.
There's a brilliant forum with loads of tips and recipes online  :)
sanity is overated

lillian

• Acre
  • Suffolk
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 22:04:57 »
Makes really crunchy yummy toast. So far I've  made fairy cakes, lasagna, whole roast chicken and potatoes. Good for grilling chops, fish, oven chips,  ect. Satisfactory size for 2 people.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 08:39:09 »
Any brand recommendations?

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 09:09:24 »
Ours is called intra chef, Anne. We bought it from JTF, a warehouse near us, £40.00 + v.a.t
I like the idea of being able to see what's cooking clearly , our turkey crown took only 1 hour to cook, 1.75 kilo and it was lovely  :)

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 11:32:47 »
I had never heard of these until reading this thread.  I have been looking them up on the Internet this morning and it looks as though it might be a good replacement for our microwave (the turntable has stopped revolving).  However, we only use the microwave to defrost things or to heat up coffee or left overs.  My OH is therefore reluctant to get one unless it can heat up his coffee.  ::)  He makes up a large cafetiere and then heats it up when he needs a cup of coffee throughout the day.

I know that a halogen cooker defrosts food but is it possible to put a cup in the bowl to warm coffee please and would I be able to reheat leftover curries or pasta etc? 

I am thinking of buying an Andrew James machine as it seems to have a good write up.

lillian

• Acre
  • Suffolk
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 16:10:28 »
  A halogen oven is really a large glass bowl with a lid that contains a circular halogen bulb and a fan. I would say it's more like a grill than an oven and would not replace your microwave. No good for heating up a cup of coffee. Have alook on youtube there are loads of user vids. Amazon also have loads of reviews.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 16:19:52 by lillian »

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 09:37:23 »
 Thank you very much for all the very helpfull replies about the cooke ;Dr.
 We are now deciding which one to get , so hopefully will have it by next week ;D
Rosebud ;D ;D

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 16:16:53 »
Check out the crisp and bake model. It is expensive but it does the air fryer bit as well. I have been told to order one and as the actifryer had to go back because of the lid breaking, this ticks all the boxes for a replacement.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 00:48:49 »
I bought one in the end.  It was delivered on Friday but when we tried it out on Sunday, it blew our trip switch and smelled of burning rubber.  I rang the company who said it was probably the bulb so we put in the spare one supplied and it then worked.  We cooked a roast of lamb, potatoes and parsnips.  It was delicious.

Have you got yours yet Rosebud and how are you getting on with it?

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 08:20:44 »
So impressed by mine I gave one to my son and his wife (no cooker in their flat) and one to my daughter and family, and they are in constant use, as is mine. My lid is separate - I put it down on a wooden board and it scorched it, but now I always have a metal bowl next to the oven and balance the lid on that when I need to. Ordered it from Amazon for £49.95 plus postage:

Andrew James 12 LTR Premium Halogen Oven Cooker +128 page Recipe Book ("+ £50 extras" which did not amount to much, useful metal bits to arrange food on closer to the lid).

One advantage is the cheery bright light going on and off while it cooks.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 08:48:59 »
So impressed by mine I gave one to my son and his wife (no cooker in their flat) and one to my daughter and family, and they are in constant use, as is mine. My lid is separate - I put it down on a wooden board and it scorched it, but now I always have a metal bowl next to the oven and balance the lid on that when I need to. Ordered it from Amazon for £49.95 plus postage:

Andrew James 12 LTR Premium Halogen Oven Cooker +128 page Recipe Book ("+ £50 extras" which did not amount to much, useful metal bits to arrange food on closer to the lid).

One advantage is the cheery bright light going on and off while it cooks.

Is this the one?  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-Premium-Replaceable-WARRANTY/dp/B002LYQF7A/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 09:44:22 »
this sounds really interesting . I am on my own and begrudge putting the oven on for one thing. could someone tell me will it do fish in batter? and does it take less time to do small amounts?
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 17:11:40 »
We have a stand for the cooker lid , it helps because they are quite hot and heavy  :)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 22:34:49 »
I must have had my head in the sand or perhaps too much time at the lottie. ;D
Never heard of them.  Looks like I will be getting another toy

They seem to vary a lot pricewise.  

I thought most things on Amazon were free delivery.

DATA311

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 22:47:57 »
We have had one for many years, and you can cook just about anything you fancy.
Should ours break down for any reason, be sure we will not be long in purchasing a replacement........... :)

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 00:35:51 »
Is this the one?  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-Premium-Replaceable-WARRANTY/dp/B002LYQF7A/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

That is the one I have just bought, but mine is black.  A lid stand is just one of the extras that came with it.  It cost just under £48 including postage. 

Today for lunch we cooked some half baked country rolls and rashers of bacon.  It was very quick and so easy to clean afterwards. 

this sounds really interesting . I am on my own and begrudge putting the oven on for one thing. could someone tell me will it do fish in batter? and does it take less time to do small amounts?
marg

I don't see why it shouldn't do fish in batter.  You may need to turn it over halfway through cooking, but it will cook very quickly.  I ordered a couple of extra cook books when I got mine but there is one included with the cooker anyway. 

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 12:56:30 »
How are you getting on with your Halogen oven, Rosebud?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal