Author Topic: Allotment Bunny  (Read 2572 times)

gazza1960

• Hectare
Allotment Bunny
« on: January 16, 2012, 22:07:15 »
Ok ...OK..I didnt snare or shoot it on me Lotty,as me local Butcher
does the hard part jointing it for me.....I just cook the buggers..!!!!!!!!!!

Its actually Rabbit Salmorejo that we tried in Menorca,and I nicked the recipe from the fella sweating his wotsits off in the kitchen.

Ingredients

1 Rabbit Jointed
1/2 pint dry white wine
1 tbsp sherry vinegar
1/2 tsp dried Oregano
1/2 tsp dried Thyme
2 bay leaves
2 tbsp plain flour
6 tbsp olive oil
10 shallots peeled
2 Red peppers cored and sliced
4 garlic cloves sliced
1/2 pint chicken stock
1 red chilli seeded/chopped
2 tsp sweet paprika(pimenton de la vera)
salt&pepper

Place Rabbit joints in your stove pot,add the wine ,vinegar,oregano,thyme,and bay leaves and toss together.
Leave for at least 6 hours for Rabbit to be tenderised.

Remove Rabbit from pot,and pat dry with kitchen towel.

Pour marinade through sieve and leave in a bowl.

Shake seasoned flour over Rabbit pieces and rub into skin,shake residue off.

Heat Olive Oil in Pot and brown Rabbit joints then remove and put to one side.

Lightly brown/soften shallots then remove to one side.

Lightly Brown/soften Peppers then remove to one side.

Lightly brown garlic then add the strained marinade,with the chicken stock,chilli and Paprika.
Return the Rabbit and fried vegetables to the pot.

Bring pan to a simmer for 45 mins,add more Paprika to taste and check seasoning.

make up arrowroot to thicken hot marinade in pot or remove Rabbit and vegetables and raise heat and reduce marinade by half to thicken stock.

serve Rabbit onto plate with steamed vegetables and buttered mash and pour over marinade gravy.

(note) I find the flavour is enhanced by cooking this on the bone,but its just as easy to buy pre cut Rabbit meat off the bone and cook it for slightly less time as the meat will cook quicker.

Enjoy.

Gazza

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Allotment Bunny
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 10:30:40 »
That looks gorgeous! trouble is that people often overcook rabbit. My MIL (who has her faults but does cook some lovely things) showed me how she makes her rabbit in the pressure cooker - She browns it in some oil with small onions and garlic and a bay leaf, then she takes out the bay leaf, adds a good spoonful of flour, salt pepper and cooks the flour in. Then in goes some thyme and parsley, a small cupful of stock and the same of white wine. Closes the pressure cooker and cooks for about 15-20 minutes no more.
On the side she fries some whole button mushrooms and adds them in once the lid is off. She lets it all simmer a bit to reduce the sauce if necessary. Serves it with either steamed spuds or rice or fresh pasta.  You can put a little cream in the sauce if youi are allowed such naughtiness.
They eat quite a lot of rabbit here in France still, the Rabbit a la moutarde is gorgeous if done well.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 10:34:51 »
If only I had known more about cooking in the days (mid to late 60s, early 70s) when a local man would come to the door with many rabbits swinging from a stick at something like a shilling a go. I cooked them in lots of different but less exciting ways, and the family got fed up with them. Now I never seem to see a rabbit. Must look out for them.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 10:48:07 »
OHHHH...I've had something very similar in Tenerife ..some years ago. This local fella served it to us ,refusing  to tell what the meat was until we've tasted it. We found the little place in small village in mountains and as we were staarving at the time we were prepared to eat anything..dead or alive. ;D
First we though it might be some sort of bird..bones were so delicate. This local fella thought that we tourist may be put off with such a rustic choice of meat. It was one of best meals I've ever eaten..and the meat just dropped off the bone.....so tender..and soooo nicely spiced up with paprika...ooooh :P :P
Thanks for reminding me of this dish. Next time that I've been offered a local bunny I shall put your recipe in good use.. ;D I'm not surprised if that should be fairly soon..where I work the bleeders are all over the place and we need to reduce their numbers before I put any summer bedding out again >:(..bunnies think that summer bedding is like big salad medley..put out just for them.. >:( ::)

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 12:25:20 »
your rabbit with mustard,sounds like a winner for judy as I will do it with just the rabbit flesh rather than on the bone as shes a "tuck right in" girl who doesnt like to faff about picking from carcasses Antipodes.

me on the other hand is borne of "caveman" and luvs nuffin more than to pick bones clean..... :D

yes,its easy to overcook(been there done that) but the marinade softens the flesh really nicely and I can cook it
ok now....jude isnt a rare food eater so I do have to make sure things are well cooked if sometimes borderline.

OOOhhhhhhhhhhh     while ive got the interest of French related peeps,I tried to cook a cherry clafoutis yesterday
and although it tasted OK  !!!!!!!! I wasnt happy that the batter had taken on the  cherry colour rather than remain
a neutral colour.............................where did I go wrong... ::)

apricots and fresh pitted cherries

but when I added the cream it did take on a cherry colour.

again it was far from cooked after the 20 mins so I had to cook it longer hence the burnt top.

like I say,it tasted ok with some crushed amaretti biscuits and pistachio nuts and cream....but I wasnt happy with the colour....although me tastebuds were happy.

Gazza

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 12:37:33 »
RE your clafoutis - here in France it is the simplest of dishes and you wouldn't put cream in it. It is meant to cook quite firm, and here it is made as just a rather thick pancake batter. It should be more or less sliceable :-)
In France the recipe is more or less, for 1 lb of cherries:
4 eggs, about 100g each of plain flour and sugar, 250ml of milk (about half a pint), a pinch of sugar and most people put in a dash of rum.
Butter the dish heavily, put in the fruit, then make up your mix as with crepes - mix dry ingredients., add eggs, mix and then gradually add milk so it isn't lumpy. Moderate oven, about 25 minutes is usually enough.
Also it is made with whole cherries here. The stones improve the flavour, just spit them out. The juice doesn't leak that way and you get a nice separation of fruit and batter.
You can, as you did, make it with other fruit like apples or pears or peaches etc but the cherry type is the nicest.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 13:11:42 »
I used the wrong word,I should have typed full cream milk rather than just cream.

yes,I did add 2 tbsp of amaretto licquer to the mixture but the other ingreds were..........

butter(for greasing)
1lb cherries(pitted) + other fruits of your choosing
25g plain flour
50g icing sugar
4 eggs beaten
250ml whole milk

I sifted the flour/icing sugar then whisked in the eggs and added the whole milk plus the liquer as per the recipe.

added it to the fruit dish and cooked it on 180 for 40 mins as per ..........but the batter mixture just didnt look right and the top was way too burnt for my liking.

still its all a learning curve and I will try it again maybe covering the top with foil .

Gazza

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal