Author Topic: Does anybody recommend Strawberry anablanca - the pineberry?  (Read 6565 times)

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
Was tempted to try this white strawberry that claims to taste of pineapple. I searched the older posts and noticed it was discussed last year, but has anybody actually grown or tasted it? Is it strawberry with a touch of pineapple, or truly pineapple flavoured?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Does anybody recommend Strawberry anablanca - the pineberry?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 08:37:10 »
It will all be revealed later on the year if nobody else has anything to report before that. I've got plants in order and they should arrive sometime this month. I should expect at least few strawberries to taste this year.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 08:39:54 »
I seem to remember they were expensive,not tried them .

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 14:01:55 »
Strawberry with a hint of pineapple -Waitrose have sold them in the past , quite expensive but pretty . I saved seed and have some strong plants,  what they fruit will be interesting.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 15:22:12 »
I recall reading some less then positive reviews but cant remember where...I did find this in the Grauniad

Weekend's food editor, Bob Granleese, never one to hold back, was not a fan: "It smells like a strawberry." Bite. "It tastes like ... water." Pause. "With sweetener in it." Pause. "It's disgusting." I went next, immediately pulling a lemon sucking face at the sharpness of the albino fruit which I can only describe as "nippy". Jay Rayner was similarly unimpressed: "Basically, it's an unripe strawberry. Just because it can be sold doesn't mean it should". And devoted food lover Rachel Dixon was quite taken aback: "What the hell? It's a raspberry. No. Strawberry." Nibble. "Um." Pause. Grimace. "Whoa". Pause. "So it's some kind of freakish strawberry that doesn't taste very nice." Not much endorsement so far.

Away from the food desk there was a slightly more positive reaction. Slightly. Reactions included "looks bad, tastes OK", a non-committal "I don't hate it", the diplomatic "I wouldn't substitute it for a strawberry but it's a nice addition to the berry family" and even "I think they're lovely". The weird overly sweet smell reminded one colleague of the cheap processed strawberry perfumes that children love. "Style over substance" was her verdict.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 16:57:21 »

Thanks for the feedback.
I think I shall put the brakes on this one, until Goodlife tells me otherwise later in the year.

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 17:46:27 »
I have also one row of 10 plants inbetween the normal ones.I will let you know how they taste.Here they say the birds leave them alone,i now wonder way? ;D ;D ;D

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 22:01:47 »
I know its nearly a year since I started this topic, but I wondered if anybody could give any feedback on their pineberry crop? One of my friends tried to grow them but got no berries. Just starting to think about what new things to try next year, so any feedback would be good.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 09:18:27 »
Well..to report..
I received plants this spring...they grew into good size and tried to produce loads of runners...bit shy with flowering and managed to get few berries to taste.
Now vineweevils have had chomp with the pineberry roots in one of the planters.. :BangHead:..and those are lost cause.
Berries were quite dissapointing..not much size and they were quite bland....BUT...it wasn't ideal weather for the this summer..and those that I picked I had to catch in between showers.
As it looks now..I'm not in hurry to replace those plants that I've lost. I'm hoping to have better tasting next summer and if all is 'well'...I shall then take some runners and plant more.
Winecap...if you are interested..I could supply you with few runners..

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 10:57:46 »
I was rather tempted I love something new.  I found them for only £7 for 12 so nearly bought them.  It was the cold wind which put me off and quite where to put them as I did not have a bed prepared.  Many thanks not sure I will bother now.   Especially as I do not like the taste of pineapples.

I presume that without the colour they also do not have the antioxycidants.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 15:19:53 »
Ours got rather swamped by the sweet cicely as they didn't grow as huge as our ordinary strawberry plants. We got some small fruit, not lots of taste, but as the weather was so wet, neither did our marshmello which never normally let us down . I've re potted them to move somewhere they can grow on their own and we'll see how they go  :happy7:

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 17:11:31 »
I've grown white alpine strawberries (Alexandria?) for decades now - they do taste of pineapple when ripe but then get sweeter and softer and tend to lose the pineapple - I would call those over-ripe.

I recommend them for the odd corner and the occasional pleasant surprise of a mouthful (4-6berries) when mooching about the plot.

They also make a nice volunteer "tame weed" - every plant means several less "real" weeds in that space.

Anyway here is a cautionary tale - when I first grew them I had NO bird damage for 2 or 3 years, then they started taking them and a horrible thing started to happen - they started pecking the white unripe normal strawberries so they all went off and I got none.

Obviously I started netting extra-early but a couple of years later I forgot and the birds had stopped bothering the unripe ones - though they continued to go for the white alpines - It just took them a while to work out what was going on...

Cheers.

PS if you want a really nice pineapple flavour the best source is Pitmaston Pineapple apples straight from the tree (still nice from store but no pine taste). Ananas reinette is also quite nice but instead of pine over good pippin flavour you get pine over golden delicious flavour - a bit watery and pretty boring from store.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

duane

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 22:28:48 »
goodlife i would be interested in a few runners if i aint to late

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 07:48:12 »
Hi Duane, Welcome to A4A I hope you enjoy the forum and I look forward to reading your posts.
Just a pointer, it's not usually best manners to join a forum and ask for items, without first introducing yourself and letting folk get to know you a little. I've always found this a really generous community for sharing and giving, also it seems Goodlife's offer of a few runners was made to another forum user and not a general offer to everyone in the swap section.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

duane

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 13:55:45 »
thanks jayb, im sorry i forgot my manners, it was late and i probably had a bit too much to drink. This will be my first year ever growing anything (well apart from cress and a sunflower when i was a kid) and im getting a bit carried away. I read a few threads on here last night and got a few hints and tips on what i need to be doing.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 16:31:21 »
Hi Duane..and welcome on board!
Well..my strawberries don't have any runners on this time of the year..but if/when there is spare I shall give a 'shout' on swap section.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal